yet another "adding a tell-tale" question

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have read iwombat's thread about adding a tell-tale. I plan on putting one on my 1971 50hp. the location I am planning on using is at the top of the water jacket just behind the head. I am going to follow the directions for the inline three's even though this is a twin. my question is has any one done this to this particular motor, and was there any problems with it? or should I chose another location to tap in to the water pressure? any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Matt

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: yet another "adding a tell-tale" question

Matt, we have been trying to get pictures from someone, for a long time. i don't know the answer. you know i have a 71 50 power head. i may just experiment. as soon as i can get some help to mount it on the stand. i can atleast pull the heads and get an idea.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, I think I'm going to just try it. the worst that can happen (if I'm real careful) is I will have to put a 1/8" plug in the hole. but if its anything like my 59' 35hp the water jacket area around each cylinder goes in towards the crank pretty deep. If I do attempt it and am successful, I will take some photos. maybe we can get it in the same thread iwombat put together. I will PM you when I have finished it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

thanks, that was what i was thinking.

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a 73 50 horse evinrude twin that i added one to and yes i put it on top of the engine right behind the head. after tapping the threads i installed a 90degree elbow on it and ran the hose over to the port side of lower cowel and it works really great.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, I installed my tell-tale. I followed iwombat's thread in the FAQ, using the in-line triple cylinder as a guide.
2008_0714Image0005.jpg

I decided to route the hose over the starboard side
2008_0714Image0006.jpg

and here is proof of success:)
2008_0714Image0008.jpg

The hardest part of the whole job was convincing myself to actually drill a hole in my perfectly good outboard.

fishkiller10

Recruit

Can someone tell me where they got the small plastic part that goes in the cowl? Please and thank you. Oh..what ID tubing did you use for your telltale?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You know this thread is over four years old.
Look up the parts for a newer engine ( middle to late 80's) it will show the parts you need.