Can another axle be added to my trailer

elark7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am wondering how hard it would be to add an axle to my single axle trailer. It is a pontoon trailer and I want it to be able to handle more weight. It currently can take 2850 lbs, my toon weighs 2150, and I want to be sure it is not overloaded when we go camping and have more items then usual on board, grille, bikes, tubes of food and other camping esentials. Anyone ever do this or should I let the local trailer builder do the work. Thank you.

bhammer

Ensign
Re: Can another axle be added to my trailer

I don't know about adding another axle but be very careful about loading up the trailer with additional gear as the tung weight will change and could cause an accident. Some time ago, I was following a small 15' bass boat that was loaded down with boxes and loose articles and he was all over the road from the sway. He was later pulled over by a LEO that sneaked up behind us. Guess he saw him all over the road as well.

redfury

Commander

I would switch over to a tandem axle set up if you were going to go that route instead of just adding another axle. I'd be more concerned with the amount the tongue deflects with the extra weight than the axle not handling it. If anything, you may want to look at the load rating of the tires on it and bump them up another rating if you can.

donnyb

Recruit

I added a second axle to my trailer. As long as you are not planning to exceed the original capacity of the trailer, you should be fine. Like bhammer said, keep your tongue weight in mind as you distribute gear about. I used to stress about a tire blowing out and enjoy the added security of the second axle. Good luck!