1995 Johnson warning buzzer problem

Leggman

Recruit
I have a 1995 Johnson that has always ran great. The boat sat for a couple of years and now that I want to run it again the warning buzzer stays on all the time. I put some tape over the buzzer yestarday and ran it for about two hours. The motor ran great but the buzzer stayed on the entire time. Today I found a single wire connector on the left side of the motor that when unplugged the buzzer chirps like it used to and the motor runs. I am suspecting the wire runs to a heat sensor in the cylinder head. I did see a single wire connector going to the sensor but when unplugged nothing changes. The wire on the left side is black going into the connector and tan coming out. Please help if you have any ideas on what could be the problem. I am suspecting a bad sensor but I just don't know. Thanks in advance for any help. Dave

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 Johnson warning buzzer problem

Plug that TAN wire back in, then unplug (temporarily) the overheat sensors at the cylinder heads.

Now, if the horn is still acting up as you describe, then obviously the overheat sensors are not the cause. Re-connect the TAN wire overheat sensors at the cylinder heads.

The TAN wire that you disconnected at the port side of the powerhead, if it is black and appears to resemble a lamp cord type wire, that would be leading to the oil tank circuitry in the oil tank. Let us know what you find.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

J/E Alarms

low oil alarm is a beep every 30 seconds. beep......................beep...................

no oil alarm is a beep every 1/2 second or so.beep,beep,beep

overheat alarm is a constant beep.beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Leggman

Recruit

When I unplug only the wire going to the heat sensor the buzzer still comes on all the time. I am assuming that the wire coming out of the top of the head is a heat sensor? The motor is a two stroke, would it have an oil tank?
It would be nice if I could find a wiring diagram for this engine> That would be a great help> Thanks...... Dave

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you have been mixing oil with the gas then there is no oil tank but it depends on what size engine this is. If you are not mixing oil with the fuel and IF this is an oil injected engine, then there should be two hoses going to the engine. One for fuel and one from the separate oil tank. Until you tell us what you do or do not have we can't help. All we know is you have a 95 Johnson "something".

Leggman

Recruit

It is a 1995 40 HP two cylinder two stroke engine with one fuel line so I have to mix two stroke oil in with the gas. Sorry for my lack of information. Dave

Last edited: