1960 evinrude runs sluggish when giving throttle.

kgroom

Recruit
Hi all, i got a 1960 evinrude motor payed $350 for the boat and motor. At first the motor didnt start but after cleaning the points and changing the gas tank and line, new plugs( well the plugs are a different plug then the ones that were in it) but i bought them from a marina in town that sayed they would work. we took it out today and started right up tok off and it died. started it back up and gave a little throttle and you would hear it start to chug a bit. tryed to give it more throttle just to see and started to chug more. Had a guy at the lake look at it and he sayed that the gas to oil mixture was not enough oil for starters. ( a friend put the oil in so i thought he knew what the ratio was) hmm....
I guess im wondering if and one would know why it bougs down or chugs when given throttle.

again at the start after buying the boat we replaced plugs, checked water & fuel pump. cleaned points and replaced gas tank, line and connectors.
also took off other holes one at a time to make sure they where not clogged and replaced the bad ones.

thanks.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1960 evinrude runs sluggish when giving throttle.

sounds like you need to clean the carburator.

kgroom

Recruit

hi thanks for the reply, while testing it we did run carb cleaner in it. by looking down the carb it looks clean. what else can i do, besides getting a manual?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

"chugs" sounds like a good descriptive word for running too rich. Did you try adjusting the high speed needle? It should only be open about 5/8 turn for beginning, then set for best running at full throttle.

I assume you didn't ignore some cracked coils when you were under the flywheel. If you did, you are wasting your time.

kgroom

Recruit

hey well i dont have a manual and im going to pick one up. no there was no cracks. its probably the carb settings. there is a high and low speed setting and then there are 2 other knobs lower on the left and right. the left one is additional adjustments and the right one is lowspeed adjustments. the one your talking about is low and high speed that had numbers on it. 1-5.... the thing about that one is you can pull up on it and move it left of right and turn it more. i didnt turn it more cause i dont know what it does. the boat say in a barn for 2 yrs and im not sure if they person i got it from had kids that messed with the settings.

the other thing is i got the earmuffs things for it to test without putting it in a barrel but they dont fit on this motor....

thanks

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hi thanks for the reply, while testing it we did run carb cleaner in it. by looking down the carb it looks clean. what else can i do, besides getting a manual?

Sitting in a barn? It could have all sorts of junk in the carb since there's no air filter element on these engines. Carb cleaner won't clean out the orifices, places where gas sits, turns to gel then varnish. You need to disassemble the carb to clean it properly blowing out the orifices with compressed air.
There's lots more to do to an old motor that's been sitting idle. Read the following thread if you intend to keep this motor. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086