'89 4.3L Not Starting

mattsboat

Cadet
Got a '89 OMC Cobra i/o, no spark at plugs. Have 12V at coil. New battery. Replaced points, condenser, rotor, cap, still nothing. Someone said it could this possibly be the starter solenoid as I heard this provides the spark to the plugs until the coil kicks in? I never heard of this before. They said to hook a wire from the battery pos. to the coil pos. and start it this way. Is this right? Before I do this is there anything else I should check first? Are there some fuses that I do not know about? I looked under the dash and checked the one by the battery, all good. By the way it is getting gas, squirting in real good.
Matt

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '89 4.3L Not Starting

Someone said it could this possibly be the starter solenoid as I heard this provides the spark to the plugs until the coil kicks in?

The starter solenoid puts full cranking voltage to the coil during starting after starting the voltage is reduced to the coil, or a resistor built into the coil lowers the voltage to the points so the points don't burn up so fast.

Did you set the dwell on the new points, did you set the gap properly? Have you ever replaced points before?

mattsboat

Cadet

Hard to set the dwell when its not running. I have replaced points before, but not on this engine. Set the points at .019 using feeler gage. Was running fine before it was winterized. Moved this spring and haven't had it started since.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hard to set the dwell when its not running.

Not really, I always use the dwell meter to set the points. Hook up the meter and adjust the points while cranking the engine over.

Do you have power to the + terminal on the coil?

mattsboat

Cadet

Don, just to make sure I'm doing it right. I connected my meter to the positive side with the key in the on position and the ground of the meter to any ground on the engine, right? Got 12V. I hate electrical stuff, neveer was any good at it.

Randy J

Petty Officer 2nd Class

noticed this is an older post but ill add may help someone

ok 1 check the 30 amp fuses (2) at rear top side of engine on a cobra
2 pull the laynard off the quick kill switch on the dash and push the button up and down a few times then put the laynard back on the switch, also can have the ing switch on as as you plung the button can see the volt meter go up and down as it show the contact on and off as the button is pushed. every year i do his as the condensation seem to affect the kill switch. and this does affect the ign system and give no power to the start switch.
hope this helps someone most bugs are simple. but forgotten