Jeep Liberty ?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
I did not know that they put diesels in the Liberty. I say this because I watched a woman hang up the hose, put her cap on the fill, and headed into the store to pay for her Diesel. Either she completely was ignorant, or she was purposely screwing her vehicle up to get back at her spouse.

I would have stopped her, but she was already done. I'm just wondering how far she made it down the road until it started belching the death trail of smoke?

BTW, If they did put diesels in them, then I apologize for being ignorant to the fact they did..........SS

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Jeep Liberty ?

Must have been one of the CRD's, they had a common rail diesel in them for a few years. Mopar is thinking of making that engine into a crate engine for older jeeps. Wonder how it would work in a boat......

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The diesel nozzles on the pumps are bigger the the gas tank intake hole is on the cars and trucks.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I was considering a used one last fall, then I realized they only get 3 mpg more than my Blazer.

Joe Dirt

Seaman

The diesel nozzles on the pumps are bigger the the gas tank intake hole is on the cars and trucks.

I've seen that NOT stop someone... NO, it wasn't me! Lady filling a Cadillac about a year ago- here's your sign... :D

TommyA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well they need to do something for the Liberty because it doesn't get very good mileage. My step son has one and the best can get is 15 miles per gallon Highway. Of course most of the jeeps models suck when it comes to fuel mileage.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Of course most of the jeeps models suck when it comes to fuel mileage.

Yep, I did a 150 mile round trip down the interstate yesterday in my Wrangler, filling up before and after. I got less than 13.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

They put a 2.8 liter 4cly diesel in for a couple of model years. I think they only made 10k of them. I was interested in one for a while. Some owners could get up to 28 mpg on the highway. I think most got in the mid twenties. EGR valves were a problem too. I wonder in that is fixed by low sulfur gas now???? I think I have only seen two ever.

They started putting diesel engines in them after customers complained about the very bad gas milage and this was before gas tripled in price. I drove a new one with the gas engine several years ago for several days and it got about 12 miles per gallon and I wasnt even using the 4 wheel drive,,,,,,,

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

12 mpg, man thats bad.
My '96 Blazer with 145,000 miles on it still gets 22-24 not towing and 55-57 mph.
Only get 16 when I take it out of overdrive and tow the boat, but thats still better than a lot of mini suv's out there.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

The diesel motor in Jeeps come from the former parent Mercedes. The V8 diesel in the Jeep Grand Cherokee previously found it's place in the MB E320. The German government (tax payer) subsidizes the price of diesel in Germany in an attempt to force Germans to buy them and use their home grown, Bio-Diesel. It is now near to impossible to sell a SUV here without a diesel motor.

Many of the German diesel vehicles are also earmarked for the eastern parts of Europe and Africa where the quality of gasoline is often questionable. It's a tradition for them (MB) to produce luxury products for the super rich who live in the not so developed world.

It will be interesting to see how this all develops with Cerberus at the helm of the former German controlled Jeep brand.

Americans wanted fat cars and that is what we got. Along with the fat, comes high gas consumption.

Back to the past ...

http://www.youtube.com/v/9dSLZgRHY0U&hl