30HP Fuel Prob?

linxlvr

Seaman
I was running my outboard (1988 30 HP Evinrude) at Full or Near Full throttle when it started dying out. If I back off to 1/2 throttle it seems fine. Idles OK.

When it dies out it's like you backed off the throttle for approx. 2 seconds, and kicked part of the way back up, and then repeats, like a slow surging kind of thing.

This would seem to be fuel related to me, but I don't know, nor do I know how to troubleshoot it. Later in the week it was running fine at WOT again. I hate intermittent problems. :-(

Any ideas appreciated. Is the fuel pump on these repaired w/ a diaphram or is it simply replaced?

TYIA
--
dw

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 30HP Fuel Prob?

check and see if you fuel bulb is going flat, caveing in. if so fuel tank vent is not open or something is clogging the fuel pickup. also check your spark immediately when it does it. could have a coil failing, if one does not have spark, then swap the coils, and see if it follows the suspect coil.

linxlvr

Seaman
Re: 30HP Fuel Prob?

check and see if you fuel bulb is going flat, caveing in. if so fuel tank vent is not open or something is clogging the fuel pickup. also check your spark immediately when it does it. could have a coil failing, if one does not have spark, then swap the coils, and see if it follows the suspect coil.

Thanks for the quick reply. Don't know if this correlates, but mentioning the fuel bulb. It seems like I have to pump it back up every time I go to use it. As in I motor to a weedbed, drift across it in a mild breeze casting for Pike, and when i get to the end, lets say less than 10 minutes, I have to pump it up again or it'll die once it uses the float bowl up.
My other motor didn't seem that tempermental, but I didn't really do many quick stop-starts with it.

--
dw