Antifreeze question

Drowned Rat

Captain
Uh..... What would happen if someone (not me of course) put... I don't know... say 1/2 gallon of windshield washer fluid in the radiator overflow tank of a Dodge Grand Caravan realizing the mistake only when I, er.... They heard the fluid splashing out of the overflow spout?

Should I tell him he should change his antifreeze or is this a rather harmless mistake? The vehicle uses the red type antifreeze.

My uh... friend thanks you for any advise you may have.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Antifreeze question

You've got to change it.
After warming up the engine, remove the lower radiator hose to fully drain the fluid from the car. Re-fill with plain water. Drive it around for 10-20 minutes and drain it out. Re-fill with the proper antifreeze and you should be good to go.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I agree you should do a flush of the system. The washer fluid usually is a alcohol based fluid. The alcohol would probably boil/evaporate off, but the other stuff like the detergents/cleaners could be harmful to your system.

I had a co worker fill my washer fluid up one time. He grabbed a jug off the shelf that was blue like the windshield washer, but he failed to read in big letters "DECK WASH"! It cleaned the windows with like a bubble bath. Glad to finally get that stuff run through. It did clean the windshield well,,,,,,plus the rest of the van :D............SS

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Well, it seems as tho "your friend" has a perfect opportunity to do a radiator flush. Dropping the lower radiator hose is a start, but using a t-connector connected to a garden hose and sold at your local Auto Zone, Advance, will force the water up the radiator and do a much beter job. The instructions are with the connector. Then refill with the proper mix of anti freeze.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Alright then, thanks for the tips. I'll let my friend know what he needs to do. :)

puddle jumper

Captain

Like every one else is saying tell your friend (not you of course;)) have his engine coolant changed.

rwise

Captain

IF it is in the overflow tank only (engine has not been ran) then drop the line off and empty and flush it.