I'am about to pull my hair out.

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I traded for a 18 and a half foot hydra sport with a 175 evinrude intruder this spring. It ran fine while it was cool. When it started heating up i started having all kinds of problems.
Heat soak made the most sense and still does. Anyway i've went through the ignition. New pack,stator,coils,wires. Thought rectifier was bad. Got another one today that was off a boat that ran. I've also been all the way through the carbs. Anyway after installing rectifier i took it to the lake. It was hot here today. I made a run up the lake about probably 4 miles. Had no problem. After i shut the motor off is when i have the problem. I restarted it and put it in gear it died. I restarted it,let it idle for awhile and it got up and took off. Ran back down lake to another of my fishing spots and i shut it off again. It did the same thing after i restarted it. I put it in gear tried to accelerate and it quit again. Once again i restarted it let it idle for a couple of minutes and it took off again. I'am trying to replace my runners on my trailer so back at the dock i left the boat setting in the water for about 30 to 45 minutes. When i restarted it to put it on the trailer, you guessed it, it died again and it died everytime i put it in gear. But i didn't let it idle that time because people were waiting on me to get out of their way. I have a manual and about the only thing left that i haven't done is rebuild the vapor seperator, since it has a float its possible its hanging up. My compression is good and the tops of the pistons look good. I'am about at my wits end with this thing. I've spent a boat load of money trying to chase this problem down. I guess it could be this sorry eythanol fuel. I'am going to try and find a service station that sells regular gas.

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I'am about to pull my hair out.

vacuum leak?
Maybe but nothing is visible. I've installed new spagetti gaskets behind carb manifolds and behind the bowls no leaks there. Recirculate lines on starboard side are fine. The ones on the port side are covered by my starter. I may have that backwards anyway. Is there a real good way to check for a vaccum leak because there is nothing obviously leaking. It has the brown gaskets on the actual manifolds too. Someone has replaced them at one time. Vaccum leak or that vapor seperator. It does kinda verb acts like someone's pushing the gas a little. It will also cough or spit sometimes. It was coughing when i got to the lake today, ran the idle screws out one turn and it seemed to help. But after you take a ride its like you never adjusted anything. Vaccum leak sounds like a possibility also. You got to love it with these motors so many things it could possibly be. I'am almost ready to declare this motor a lemon and get rid of it to end my nightmare. The only problem with that is. Someone will get it put a twenty dollar part on it and have a good motor. This one has tried my patience though very badly.