old Johnson Outboard unsure of year and HP

kettles

Recruit
I have an old Johnson outboard motor, Model AD-10 M, which would be a '56 7.5hp, but the cover on it says 5 1/2Hp. (sn 1388394) I would like to sell it, but I would like to know which one is correct. Is it possible that a previous owner put a different cover on it. It seems to fit right. I attached a picture.

Attachments

• 022small.jpg
    022small.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: old Johnson Outboard unsure of year and HP

Something has been switcheroo'd, probably the S/N plate or stern bracket.

Look at the powerhead. A 7.5 has a large flat exhaust plate on one side and two small bypass cover plates on the other side. A 5.5 has a large flat exhaust cover plate on one side and none on the other side.

kettles

Recruit

Thanks
It has two covers on one side, and one big one on the other, so ill assume that the cover was replaced. Would a 5 1/2hp be the same size, because It seems to fit just right, and the rubber strap that holds the front side on (when back flipped up) is the right length...
I included a picture of both sides (in the same file) to verify.

Attachments

• left+right.jpg
    left+right.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Absolutely no doubt about it, you have a 7.5hp. I'm not sure about the cover sizes, but I thought the 7.5 was bigger than the 5.5. I could be wrong. Could be this was used in a state with a 6hp limit on some lakes, (Ohio was that way at one time--maybe still is, I dunno). So some guy just changed the medallions on the side and says it is only 5.5hp.