45horse 3cyl. Honda only fires on 1 (top) cyl. ?

sgcajun

Cadet
could it be the coil pack or do I need to chase wires? HELP!!!
Wait! I think it may be the carb synch. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Last edited:

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 3 cyl. Honda only fires on 1 (top) cyl. ?

That may well be the most interesting post I've seen on this forum in awhile.Ignition problems with this engine are rare ,SOO you are likely looking at dicking with those carbs but before I send you down that road ,are the valves adjusted?How much water in that fuel?When the spark plugs come out do they look even or do'es one look differently than the others?A compression test would be nice.Remember that compression test needs to be accomplished at WOT with the other plugs out.That oughta get you started.

sgcajun

Cadet

new gas, gas tank, fuel line with new bulb, new plugs. the motor will idle but when put into gear it dies when in the water. when run out of water with water hose attached goes into gear fine and idles ok. checked the plugs and middle and bottom plugs are wet with gas.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 45horse 3cyl. Honda only fires on 1 (top) cyl. ?

You will run in gear with no load but not under power?Those compression numbers once again come to mind.If those numbers are adequate and even and ignition output is acceptable,it is time to start looking at fuel delivery or carbueration.I have yet to have one of these triples run on only one cylinder, so I doubt you are down two cylinders.How did you decide you had only one cylinder?

sgcajun

Cadet

While running at idle under no load, I removed bottom plug wire, no change, then removed middle wire, no change (removing for a few seconds and then replacing each), when top wire was removed engine died.
I beleive the two lower carbs may be flooding because the plugs were wet with gas.

Last edited:

DutchMerc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Top crankshaft bearing defect? Maybe to much play on the flywheel / stator, causing ignition problem?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Once again,it would be really nice to hear those compression numbers.Tight valves will cause your symptoms and valves get tighter as they wear in.Since you idle fine with no load you know ignition is in place.What is the application?If you are idleling too slow or lugging this engine at wide open this will also cause the same results.I've also seen bad spark plugs right out of the box.Do the compression test.