1977 Evinrude 55HP Ignition wiring

steve62

Cadet
Could someone post a photo of the ignition switch wiring for a 77 55 hp evinrude please. I bought this engine and it runs great but the previous owner lost the keys and we had to pull the harness and by trial and error got it running. (it was still one the previous boat)I purchased a six terminal switch from our napa dealer.. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Steve G.

FillupD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 Evinrude 55HP Ignition wiring

Key switch letter
S- 18G White to Neutral switch
C- goes to the choke 16G Purple/White #6 on Terminal Block
A- 16 G Purple # 4 on Terminal Block
M- 18G black to Ground Lead Remote Control (between A&B)
B- 16G Red/Purple to fuse
M- 18G Black/Yellow #5 on Power pack for kill switch I believe
Hope this helps

steve62

Cadet

The ignition switch has 6 pins. Magneto circuit, choke, ignition circuit, solenoid, ground and battery

The battery of course is red, ground is black and the choke is indeed purple/white. What color's are the ignition circuit, magneto circuit and solenoid?

the switch has the following letters associated with the wiring:

M - magneto
C - choke
I - ignition
S - solenoid
M- ground
B- battery

Thanks for the responses so far folks.

FillupD

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you look at the switch in the manual the letter go like this.
Top C to the left & A to the right side
Middle S & M
Bottom M & B

The B, bottom right, goes to the fuse, the fuse wire then goes to solenoid. There is also another wire on the solenoid that goes to terminal # 3. So off of the solenoid, one wire to terminal # 3 and the other wire to Switch B via a fuse. And a red 6G wire to going to battery+
It is red/purple going into the fuse and red going to the solenoid. Also red, from terminal #3 to solenoid.

The S white wire goes to the solenoid via the neutral safety switch to the smaller terminal on the battery side. The other small terminal is ground and of course the other terminal goes to the starter.

Ralph venneman

Recruit
My question is when using newer control box using the Deutsch style plug in to connect it all wires match except the white in outboard cable and the one left on control box is yellow with red stripe. Do the white and yellow with red stripe have same function?