Flipping the boat

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Soon I want to get to the bottom paint and I'm planning now for that. I would like to flip it over with the deck attached but the total weight even with everything stripped off will be 700 pounds or so. I have a 1 ton engine hoist that I used to get the outboard motor off, and I'm thinking I can use it to support one end. Could two people turn it over from the stern while the hoist supports the bow? Here is a pic of the side for reference.

Attachments

• 1961 Vacationer port side.jpg
    1961 Vacationer port side.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Flipping the boat

best to paint it on your back. you can either remove from trailer and block. then touch up. or paint on trailer.
Getting Boat Off Trailer

you don't need stands.

1/you can lower the tongue to the ground. i would get some 6x6 or old railroad crossties cut the +- 12 inches, now block up the transom. 2/

Raise the tongue of the trailer the back of trailer will drop away from trailer. this is the tricky part. between the cross braces of the trailer block the keel lower trailer, boat will be suspended on the blocks.

3/ pull forward, lift bow again, and reblock i a different place. repeat until trailer is out from under the boat.

4/ to reload, just reverse the procedure.

if you were just working on the bunks, or painting the bottom. you could just do the first 2 steps.

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your method is definitely easier than flipping it. I was considering painting the bottom of the hull in black or a dark color, which would not be that noticeable if done in two stages like you suggest. I have some 4x6s that I can make blocks out of.

The nasty part is going to be chemically stripping the thick anti-fouling paint that was put on below the waterline. I used citristrip on the transom and it worked great. Now I'm plugging holes in the transom with hardwood dowels and 3M 5200.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Wow. You are so lucky to have a Lone Star. That boat is just beautiful and practical beyond belief.

Too bad they don't make that style boat anymore. Everthing now is just way to "one purpose" and not nearly as flexable as the old Lone Star.

Keep her well maintained. And I agree it would be much more practical to paint the hull on your back. Either on the trailer or on stands. But flipping is so much work and a much greater chance of damaging that fine boat.

Got some more photos? Some of the cuddy and cabin?

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow. You are so lucky to have a Lone Star. That boat is just beautiful and practical beyond belief.

Too bad they don't make that style boat anymore. Everthing now is just way to "one purpose" and not nearly as flexable as the old Lone Star.

Keep her well maintained. And I agree it would be much more practical to paint the hull on your back. Either on the trailer or on stands. But flipping is so much work and a much greater chance of damaging that fine boat.

Got some more photos? Some of the cuddy and cabin?

You are so right. The cuddy style is perfect for me and I love those big windows up front. This is a classic worth saving. Here are some pics of the helm before it was removed, and of the cuddy after stripping it down.

Attachments

• 1961 Vacationer cockpit.jpg
    1961 Vacationer cockpit.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1961 Vacationer helm.jpg
    1961 Vacationer helm.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01969.JPG
    DSC01969.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01970.JPG
    DSC01970.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Fantastic! Thanks for the photos. I just love that wood bulkhead and door.

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i so envy you, except for the merc.

I understand completely, but this Merc runs like a clock and pushes this little boat like it needs to be for skiing, which it used to do a lot when it was in Ohio. I think it's a bit overkill on the Hp.

Locally on craigslist there is 1961 Evinrude 75 with controls that I would love to put on my boat if I did not already have the Merc. He wants $600 obo. I'm tempted but I don't have anywhere to store another large outboard and I don't know the history of the Rude. What do you think of the '61s?