Starter for 70el77

drmathieu

Cadet
I have a 1977 Johnson 70HP and I think I need a starter. I try to turn the motor over and I hear a click. It is just a single click and I do not think the click is coming from the stater. The motor was running last wednesday and I ran out of gas so I switched tank. That is when troubles began. I think bad gas. After a bit of cranking out on river, the click (single) started and the engine would not turn over. I have ordered a new solenoid from iboats, but I may have burned up the starter. Solenoid will be here tuesday but just in case does anyone know where to purchase a new starter? iboats has johnson starters for 70HP starting with the year 1980.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mathieu

1977 Johnson 70HP 70el77
15'3" Challenger 1977

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter for 70el77

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

drmathieu

Cadet

Cleaned up everything and still get click at starter solenoid. I took off red cable at solenoid and touched to starter post and nothing. I have bad feeling that starter is dead. I just replaced this starter about four years ago. I just called local marine service and they quoted me a price of $263 for new starter. Do you think anywhere online is cheaper. Any other method for testing starter?

Thanks in advance

Mathieu

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'm starting to sound like a broken record here. This is about the 3rd or 4th time in the last 10 minutes I've said get yourself a multimeter and do voltage drop tests across the individual components. Much cheaper than throwing parts at it like you may have just done with the solenoid. A 10 second test would have told you if the solenoid was bad.

JB

The starter and solenoid tests in "Outboard won't start", Engine FAQs should save you some bux, Mathieu.

Good luck. :)

drmathieu

Cadet

Could you post the link for the trouble shooting guide in FAQ's for the starter solenoid etc please

Thanks in advance

Mathieu

drmathieu

Cadet

Did diagonistics and found that that starter was bad. I removed starter and found that a wire that led to one of the brushes had been severed. I will try to look for a repair kit online tonight but if not I will take to a shop to have rebuilt tomorrow. Anyone know of rebuild kit for this starter?

Thank you guys for all the help

Mathieu

tashasdaddy

take the starter to an starter/alternator shop, they can either fix, or rebuild. much cheaper than a new one.