update on pin stripe removable and new clear

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so i started to remove my pin stripe a small project that got big quick, but ended up with amazing results so the pin stripe was a pain in the $$$ i tried to do everything, "adhesive remover 3m and goof off" and they both sucked, in the end i just let it sit in this 100deg weather and guess what, it came right off so then i decided to wet sand the boat and re clear it, before i put on the new stripes, so i new trying to buff a good shine back would take a week and still wouldnt be great, so i shot a coat of clear on it and still wasnt where i wanted it to be so i wet sanded that off now this was the best thing i did and i know you all are going to have your opinions but here it is i wax floors professionally and the wax we use stands up to everything we basically sand it off .so i got a new terry cloth dipped it in and started laying on some thin coats i put on six coats and now my boat looks almost new and this took about 4 hours and most of that was giving the coats about 15min to dry im going to try to show some pic and this is a ten year old boat and if you wanted to try it yourself i could get a pint of this wax shipped to you for 10$ we pay 100 for 5 gal

Attachments

• ART 075.jpg
    ART 075.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ART 071.jpg
    ART 071.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ART 072.jpg
    ART 072.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 0

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: update on pin stripe removable and new clear

I'm in pm me with address to send money to:D:D

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I'll be interested to hear a follow up on how the wax holds up.

Clears don't normally do much to improve gel coats, if the gel coat is dull and discolored putting clear over it just gives an improved gloss on a bad finish, which means you see more of the deffects. The other thing that happens is clears tend to turn yellow in the sun, you may not see it over dark colors, but over white it can be very noticeable. For a clear coat to work the gel coat surface needs to sanded down far enough to remove all of the chalked, faded, discolored and aged gel coat. Once all of the bad stuff has been removed buffing normally brings back a very good finish that with some care will last for a fairly long time, so the clear isn't really needed.

Waxes and other products used to cover gel coat typically lose their gloss and turn yellow also, then these products need to be removed and reapplied, so it's hard to find something that works.

Let us know how this wax holds up.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Looks great. Interested to see how durable is will be.

People look at me funny when I tell them I use Future floor wax on the plastic panels of my Chevy Avalanche. It seals it up great and holds up well. I only have to recoat it once a year, and I don't have that faded plastic look like many others out there do.​