WOW! Now that is a towing accident.

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: WOW! Now that is a towing accident.

Here is the story:

At approximately 3 PM, Tuesday, July 2, a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, pulling a new travel trailer, hit the corner of the Texas State Bank Drive-In on Tenaha Street, causing the complete awning to come to the ground. Luckily, the driver of the Dodge, Mickey Miller, of Garrison and his 10 year old son were able to exit their vehicle uninjured. According to Miller he was circling the bank to park on the other side when the corner of his travel trailer caught the corner of the bank awning. Next thing he heard was a rumble as the awning started falling against his driver's side door. Somehow he was able to unbuckle the seat beat and exit the other side of his truck as it was falling. Mark Ivy of Texas State Bank stated that the main lobby would be open for business while the drive-in is being repaired.

Skyhawk

Seaman Apprentice

Man!!!!! I can't believe they survived! Note to self, always pay attention to the signage with the allowable height.

TommyA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awh I bet that will buff out!:rolleyes:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

We have an 11 foot (+ some inches) railroad overpass on heavily traveled city street in our town. I saw a dude stick a brand new fifth wheel travel trailer (tags in the rear window) under it. Sheared off the roof, A/C and left a heck of a mess in the road. Bet Momma wasn't happy about their camping trip turning out to be a sit down with the insurance guy. A couple of weeks later I saw the top of a rental truck (empty) sheared off and laying in the street. The sign is about six feet high.

Shizzy

Ensign

is it just me or did that awning come down too easlily? one would think it would take more then that to pull it down like that.

redfury

Commander

That's just stupid to even have that rig near a bank in the first place. That's called the epitome of laziness. Park it somewhere safe and walk into the bank :rolleyes:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

he hit it at a pretty good clip. being the corner gave it full leverage. those 12x12 support post were under engineer. a good storm would have brought it down any way.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's just stupid to even have that rig near a bank in the first place. That's called the epitome of laziness. Park it somewhere safe and walk into the bank :rolleyes:

... yup, farggin idiot coulda killed someone easily had they been under that awning doing some drive-thru banking.

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

... yup, farggin idiot coulda killed someone easily had they been under that awning doing some drive-thru banking.

That was exactly my thought. I can imagine a little old lady sitting in lane one waiting for the carrier to come back and WHAM! getting crushed.

As bad as the accident was, it was very lucky nobody was hurt.

And yes, that was horrible design / build. The cantilevered section hanging way out there with terrible sheer load anticipation on the columns. I can't believe the commercial building inspector even allowed it to be built.

kendall69

Recruit

Did you notice the brick work come undone quickly. Granted it was a pretty good hit - but still, had it been built a little better, they have to know some moron is going to wack it some time, so build it accordingly.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yep, park in a suitable place to exit properly and walk. It is actually quicker to do that than not to. If you dont believe me ask the guy towing the 5th wheel !!!

ebry710

Ensign

We talk on whether or not boaters need a special license, but those fifth wheels require only the same license as a VW bug. Go figure.

tashasdaddy

being a retire building contractor, if you notice, the brick column on the right, disintegrates, with no reinforcing steel in it. it would have never passed building codes here.

rndn

Commander

I can't believe how fast and easily the structure came down. It's a miracle no one was hurt.

JB

More premeditated negligence. :(