need help choosing a hitch

Andy in NY

Commander
Okay, early next week we are going to be picking up our new-to-us 1999 olds bravada. It only has a bumber hitch, so I am going to purchase a reese hitch. The problem is that there seem to be a wide variety out there. I don't know what I need. Can you guys help me out here?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: need help choosing a hitch

And what are you going to tow with your Bravada? What weight? That includes fuel, boat, trailer, engine, gear, adult beverages, anchors, etc.

Andy in NY

Commander

this is my recommendation. i installed mine, about 1/2 hour. get wiring also.
http://www.hidden-hitch.com/productdetail.asp?partno=87478&yearfrom=1999&vehicleid=201294

the truck is already wired, they were towing a small utility trailer with the bumper hitch.

i'll check that out.

And what are you going to tow with your Bravada? What weight? That includes fuel, boat, trailer, engine, gear, adult beverages, anchors, etc.
boat, motor and trailer fully loaded with a whopping 6 gal gas is 1400#.

But, we may upgrade to a somewhat bigger boat in the near future. How do I find out the capacity of the bravada?

Modemagic

Seaman

the truck is already wired, they were towing a small utility trailer with the bumper hitch.

i'll check that out.

boat, motor and trailer fully loaded with a whopping 6 gal gas is 1400#.

But, we may upgrade to a somewhat bigger boat in the near future. How do I find out the capacity of the bravada?

It should be located in the owners manual. I'm sure if you googled it, you could find it as well. One thing to remember is that if its only rated for Class II @ 3500 lbs, putting a Class IV hitch rated @ 10,000 lbs on it doesn't magically increase the trucks towing power. When you select your hitch to go into the receiver, main thing is, is to make sure that the boat trailer is level and parallel to the ground.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Walmart here has a great selection of Draw Bar inserts, wheater drop or lift. and the are cheap, compared to hitch or trailer store.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class