Carb Cleaner OK?

mikesim

Cadet
I have an '84 Mariner 115 inline six which is used infrequently. When I first use it, the engine hesitates and bogs on the hole shot. After a couple of hours of running it is OK. This leads me to suspect that the carbs are somewhat gummed up with varnish. I don't feel like rebuilding them until winter. Is it OK to use a commercial carb cleaner while the engine is running at a fast idle ~1500 rpm and spray the carb cleaner down the carb throats. I use the stuff all the time on cars and trucks, but will it harm the two-stroke? Any carb cleaners that are recommended?

Many Thanks!

Mike

jason1150

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Carb Cleaner OK?

I'm going to try some chevron techron additive to my fuel tank, If you spray carb cleaner in the carb throats it will just go right passed everything, needs to go through the whole system, also if it's a 2 stroke you could do some real damage, hope this helps, J

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seafoam is a popular fuel additive for this purpose on 2-stroke outboards.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mike, Spraying the carb cleaner down the carb throat only cleans the carb throat, which is the air passage and quite large. You want to clean the narrow fuel passages. If you have the side bowl carbs you can try a possible quicky fix. Remove the brass hex screw on the base of the carb and give the main jet a blast from the carb cleaner. Now remove the top left brass plug on the carb body and give the idle restrictor tube a blast. Now blast toward the carb throat, form the same Now stick the wand down the carb throat and try to spray some cleaner down the main brass nozzel in the base of the throat. That should get most of the offenders, and is about all you can do, without tearing down the carbs..

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I second the Seafoam, which I buy at NAPA. They make a fuel additive and a carb spray. I also like Amsoil products like the power foam. Mercury used to sell a similar foaming carb cleaner in the Kiekhaefer days but I don't know if they still do. It's good for blowing the carbon out of the cylinders and it doesn't un-lubricate the rings like the gumout type stuff does.