Spitting Carb

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class
So the motor (1991 Johnson 60HP) has been running real well. I fouled a plug a month back and noticed that my top carb was spitting a lot of fuel. Sure enough, the top plug was fouled and the other two plugs looked pretty good. I leaned out the top mixture screw a little, but did not want to over compensate for something that isn't functioning correctly.

Purchased a new carb rebuild kit. Put the pieces together correctly, and noticed the motor ran even smoother and idle'd crisper now. However, I do notice that with the carb cover off, I still see the top carb spitting fuel a tiny bit. Not nearly as bad as it was spitting before, but my guess is that it is spitting through that small gasket that sits below in the middle of the carb. Just a guess however.

I keep checking the plugs, and sure enough the top plug is always a little more oiley and "rich" after running the motor some. Should I try and lean the top mixture screw a little more since the motor is running soooo well...or how could I maybe keep the top carb from spitting fuel?

Cory

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spitting Carb

What plugs are you running? gap? What is the compression?

If the plug is wet with carbon, the mix is too rich, too-cold a plug, bad fuel-oil mixture, bad oil, worn rings or a bad ground on ignition. If it is black with heavy fuel and oil deposits, you may have seized piston rings.

Spitting back, sounding like a mild backfire, indicates a carb slow speed restricted jet..... something causing a lean carburetor scenario.

Blowing fuel out the carburetor throat with each downward thrust of the piston indicates a reed (leaf valve) problem.

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Spitting Carb

So the motor (1991 Johnson 60HP) has been running real well. I fouled a plug a month back and noticed that my top carb was spitting a lot of fuel. Sure enough, the top plug was fouled and the other two plugs looked pretty good. I leaned out the top mixture screw a little, but did not want to over compensate for something that isn't functioning correctly.

Purchased a new carb rebuild kit. Put the pieces together correctly, and noticed the motor ran even smoother and idle'd crisper now. However, I do notice that with the carb cover off, I still see the top carb spitting fuel a tiny bit. Not nearly as bad as it was spitting before, but my guess is that it is spitting through that small gasket that sits below in the middle of the carb. Just a guess however.

I keep checking the plugs, and sure enough the top plug is always a little more oiley and "rich" after running the motor some. Should I try and lean the top mixture screw a little more since the motor is running soooo well...or how could I maybe keep the top carb from spitting fuel?

Cory
Spitting fuel out of the throat of the carb? If so it might be a bent reed.