Bringing my new to me boat home.

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now I'm not a new boater, this is my fifth, been boating for about 20 yrs first with my family and now just me. I purchased a 22ft Century on ebay and had to drive about an hour to go get it. I arrive at his house, check everything over hook up, double check everything again and I'm off. Everything is going well for the first 20 minutes or so until I have to stop at a traffic light in a small town. I'm the first at the light and when it turns green I take off, only to hear a "POP, n then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" I look in my mirror only to watch my boat rolling backwards off the trailer. Roled back around 3-4 ft, Luckily it had the safety chain on it ( which by the way is waaaaayyyyyyy to long.) With my knees knocking I pull into a BK, nurse it into the parking lot, crank things back up again, and decide its time to grab a bite to eat ( I'm not hungry mind you) must've sat there for an hour shaking. After I investigated the only conclusion that I could come to was that the safety lock looked like it was engaged, but it was quite all the way. I haven't had a problem since. Oh well, live and learn.

rndn

Commander
Re: Bringing my new to me boat home.

It sounds like you didn't have the transom strapped??

freddyray21

Commander

first thing I thought of too was no transom straps? Last summer my 70+ yo neighbor wants me to tow his boat to the river to see if the mechanic did his job. We get to the ramp and I stop to get out and he asks me why. I told him to take off the transom straps. He says" oh I don't put those on unless I am going aways" Total lunacy. Not only can they slide back, but they can bounce off too. Oh well to each his own.

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It didn't have transom straps, but it did have a strap over the topsides. This as I found out allows the boat quite a bit of freedom on the trailer. The trailer is a shorelander roller trailer and the angle from the tiedowns in the back to the tiedowns on the trailer is really bad. I'm just happy I don't trailer it very often. This boat is small and light compared to my last sea ray (24ft about 7500lbs on the trailer with gear and all). I've never had a problem towing a boat, but theres something about the way this one tows that just gives me that insecure feeling.