'85 30HP Johnson Outboard

Marianne

Cadet
Gettin my gear together for the weekend, hopefully I'll be on the water soon.
How long should it take me ( rookie ) to rebuild my carb with a kit ?
What comes off first ? Second ? etc ? Sequence Please. Dont have proper manual only an exploded view photo of the carb itself.

Cheers,

M

jbjennings

Captain
Re: '85 30HP Johnson Outboard

Does your motor have electric start? Controls or tiller steering?
Usually,take off the air box off the front of the carb. , disconnect the choke, disconnect the starter and take the starter off. Disconnect the fuel line to the carb, then take off the two nuts that hold the carb on. Disconnect anything you need to to get to your carb easily. If you have the primer on that motor instead of a choke, you'd better be incredibly carefull when disconnecting the fuel lines to it or you'll break the plastic nipple on the primer that the fuel line goes on. Very annoying and you'll then have to wait to get the replacement parts.
this is just to give you an idea of what to do. It's hard to replace a service manual! Rebuilding the carb is easy. You will spend way more time soaking it than anything else. Make sure you clean out all the little passages and blow them out with compressed air.
Good luck,
JBJ

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: '85 30HP Johnson Outboard

Have a look here on iboats at the FAQ. There is a thread by Tashasdaddy regarding rebuilding carbs. Have a look at it. The following video may help as well. But as stated, nothing replaces a factory service manual. I would invest in one. Good luck.

http://www.meegsonline.com/tmd/TMDsVideoChronicle2.wmv