Electronics for a bass boat

JasonSchwenk

Recruit
I just bought a bass boat and need some help with choosing an electronic set up. What I would ideally like would be a GPS screen on/near the dash with a fish finder screen on the bow. Is there one unit with two screens or do I need to purchase two different units.

Any suggestions? I plan on using the boat in a lake where we purchased some property.

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Electronics for a bass boat

I would not spend the money required for a combo GPS/Locator for the simple reason if one feature or the other goes sour, you junk the unit. Buy mid-line locators (one for the console and one for the bow) and buy a handheld GPS that you can use on the trail, on the lake, or in your car. Besides, unless this lake very large, you will not need a GPS to locate your favorite fishing spots after you've fished it a little. I fish a very large impoundment and no longer use a GPS because I can drive right to my spots. The locators do the rest.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

rember this is your boat you do what you want.you can buy a low end locater gps with or w/o temp capable and run a network cable to helm and bow and just move head unit where you need it. I would use a ram mount the temp/gps can be networked while transducers can't on some models . so you need a ducer on back and if you have a bow mount t/m one there as well lowrance/humminbird have split screen modes if you go lowerance you will need to switch 12+ to unit as the gps puck pulls 0.5 millamps the hummer does not

Boatist

Rear Admiral

You can get a network unit and install a second screen up front but the screen is most of the cost so like Silver says probably better to get two seperate units. If get 2 units then need to turn off the units when useing the other if they are on the same frequency or they will interfere with each other.
I personally think a GPS will help you catch more fish than a depthfinder in a lake that you fish over and over.

Depthfinder will help you locate the depth the fish are holding at and the water temperature which will affect the depth the fish are at. It will also help you find new structure as you move around.

GPS help you find the exact spot you caught fish at last year when the water level was at xxx feet and the temperature was xxx degrees if you keep careful notes. Yes on small lakes you may be able to find the spot anyway but on larger lakes or when it foggy the gps will get you there in 1/4 the time.