150 Mercury problems

Hoover28

Recruit
Hey guys-heard good things about this board. Ever since I've had the boat (little over a year) It has never idled at a stop. I always have to start it and put it into gear quickly.

My new problem and the one im concerned with is when I hammer the throttle she will bogged down. I can idle all over lake going 5mph will no problems but as soon as I accelerate she stalls. It definelty souds like its not getting gas. But I've changed the fuel filter and bulb.

Should I replace the fuel lines? think Im sucking air from somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 150 Mercury problems

I assume you have looked at and/or changed the plugs.

First you should check your compression, just to be sure you have a sound engine to start with. If a cylinder has poor compression, no amount of tuning will make it run right.

Next go through the link-n-sync procedure. It is somewhat involved, but not beyond the shade tree mechanic. I suspect you and others have "tweaked" what you thought might help over a span of time. All the adjustments are interrelated, and going through the procedure is the only sure way to be sure that they are anywhere near close.

You need
1. An OEM manual for your engine
2. A dial indicator (or a caliper with a depth gauge will work)
3. A timing light
4. I use drill bits to measure gaps, like the throttle pickup cam.
5. A remote starter switch would help. It's not a crabby as a wife.

If that don't fix it, go through the vacuum gauge procedure for testing fuel delivery. I suspect that will be found to be fine.

Carb kits are next. It's common for them to plug up over time if they are not used hard and frequently.

One thought. If you idle a lot, it might be worthwhile to decarbon the engine. The procedure is in the FAQ section on this board.

hope it helps
John

Hoover28

Recruit
Re: 150 Mercury problems

Thanks, very informative. I will get started on the compression test. Sounds like it could be the problem.