Age of boat

Ontariomarine

Recruit
Considering buying boat from friend- looked over yesterday. Did not want to appear too anal, so did not record model/serial numbers. Want to know the age of boat- It's a "Peterborough" w/fiberglass hull & 140hp evinrude OB (second motor I think). "Peterborough" decal is on each side including the rainbow-like striping behind. I know Peterborough was perchased by Alcan, actually, Alcan is labelled on passenger side glove box. Does this help date approx? It is 19.5ft bowrider in mint condition w/ on-board fuel tank. Any thoughts?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Age of boat

not really. never be to anal when purchasing something used. the title should have the years and vital info. just ask. get model # off motor also, then we will know exactly what you have. do not buy without 1 hour test drive. once it is your, it and the problems are yours.

Ontariomarine

Recruit

Agreed. Ultimately, I don't really care about age, it's more about condition/performance. Will be getting on water for test drive in one week. Just curious about age- I'm guessing 1985-1987 for boat, as I believe later Peterboroughs had name written out with no colors in decal as well, no Alcan identity.

Ontariomarine

Recruit

Thanks, but been there, done that- more about canoes and overall history with little about Peterborough runabouts, Alcan, etc.

HondaPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

I assume from your online name you are in Ontario. If the boat is registered in Canada the owner should have the registration either issued by the Coast Guard or Services Canada. This document will give you all the basic data on the boat, ie manufacturer, year, length, capacity etc. If your boat is powered by more than a 9.9 hp motor it must be registered and the registration numbers must be displayed on both sides of the hull. The OPP or RCMP have no sense of humor for those who do not comply. I would just ask him to let you see the registration, it will also confirm for you that he is the owner.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Worst major purchase I ever made was from a friend. Great way to kill a friendship. Which do you value the most?