Seized Plugs...need a fix

tassie ben

Seaman Apprentice
Hi to all,

have searched the forum but can't find a fix,
i have a johnson 6hp (1979) but that is besides the point...
i have tried to undo the sparkplugs but don't want to wrench on them too much for fear of something bad happening...the motor runs but as i am rebuilding the waterpump and i haven't had the engine for long i would like to check plugs.

**How hard can i wrench on the plugs??

** can i apply something to help??

** should i just leave them alone- whilst it runs?? like my dad would say, "if it aint broke don't fix it"...i just can't seem to leave things likme this alone however...

any help appreciated

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Seized Plugs...need a fix

you can put a good bit of torque on them. but take the chance of ruining the threads, and having to do a helicoil. if it runs fine, why fix something that is not broken. if it were a 10 year old impeller, that would be different.

tassie ben

Seaman Apprentice

Cheers,

i don't think they are that old so i might just leave them in like you say...the motor which cost nearly nothing has cost me $250 so far and it might be a good idea not to open any sort of pandoras box just yet..

thanks heaps...ben

Ben,

If you ever do need to pull your plugs spary them down with Liquid wrench or what ever they have down under that is considered a penetrant oil after they sit over night they should come free with minimum break away torque.

tassie ben

Seaman Apprentice

cheers mate, thats what i need. i Have some cheap stuff but i won't even bother, i'll look for something considered much better.
We used to have a red coloured product called penetrine that worked a treat..my grandfather left a tin of it behind (it was that old!) i don't know any brand names but i'll enquire.

thanks again shorehugger