Fresh Water Flush - 2001 Honda 9.9D

dustmote4b

Recruit
Hi: I need to flush my 2001 Honda 9.9D extra long shaft engine on a sailboat after each use because I'm in salt water. It doesn't have a built in fresh water port. I can't use the "muff" type flusher because I can't reach the water intake while the sailboat is docked. I'm looking at the Honda flush kit made for my engine model. The problem is, each time I use it, (per owner's manual) I would have to take off the engine cover, screw in a threaded garden hose adapter into the engine, attach a garden hose, flush the engine, and then reverse the process each time I want to flush. Is there any way to make or install a fresh water port outside the engine cover for my engine? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. BrianW

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fresh Water Flush - 2001 Honda 9.9D

You DO have a fresh water flush port on the powerhead.It is located on the port side of the engine at the top of the exhaust /t stat cover.Need the hose adaptor to screw in but there it is.

dustmote4b

Recruit
Re: Fresh Water Flush - 2001 Honda 9.9D

I'll take a look at the engine today and hopefully have a "well I'll be damned" moment. Thanks!