2001 70HP Suzuki 4 stroke

Jerkalip

Seaman Apprentice
I am considering buying a boat with this motor. Does this motor have a good history of dependability? How many hours per year is average for a 4 stroke?
I don't know anything about 4's. Could someone give me some advice? I have owned 7 boats, but never a 4 stroke (or a Suzuki). Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2001 70HP Suzuki 4 stroke

they made the Johnson 4 strokes. reliable, you have to change oil just like a car, and other maintenance, valve adjustments, that a 2 stroke does not need.

Jerkalip

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks tashasdaddy. What do i look for besides obvious abuse? I have faired well buying 2 strokes....never a major problem; but is there anything I should look for that is peculiar to a 4 stroke? Sometimes its hard to go get a compression check done ('specially when you are out of town and you gotta get back home). Is there a lot of maintenance to a 4 ? I read another thread on a Evinrude 4 (2001 model); I think it was the Admiral that said what you did----Suz and Rude was the same motor. Any more advice is appreciated. Thanks

tashasdaddy

johnson and suzuki were the same, the johnson just had a different dress on. rudes were not suzuki. rudes went the 2 stroke way of ETEC.

i am an old school 2 stroke guy, the four strokes at totally foreign to me to service, and advise you. i do know they have atleast 2 times the moving parts as a 2 stroke.

JB

For a while there were 'Rudes available that were redressed Suzis. Late 90s Evinrude 40, 50 and 70HP 4 strokes were Suzis.

I had a 2001 Suzuki DF70. As much as I love JohnnyRudes it was the best over-25HP outboard I ever had, hands down. Routine maintenance is required, but 2 strokes want routine maintenance, too. They just tolerate more neglect and abuse than 4 strokes.

Jerkalip

Seaman Apprentice

Hey JB,
I don't want to ride this horse to death but I am seriously considering buying this rig. Since you had this motor, what do you do as far as maintenance? How involved or technical would it be? Thanks for the info.

JB

Get the Service Manual and there is no brain surgery involved.

Complaints about 4 stroke routine maintenance are made by 2 stroke fans trying to justify their prejudices.