Boat Seat Mounting ?

noahnsteph

Seaman
I'm restoring a 1973 Thundercraft tri-hull that I bought w/o seats. There's the outline of where the old back to back lounge seats went but exactly how does one go about mounting new ones. Are they bolted in place or just glassed in place?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boat Seat Mounting ?

usually screwed down. these i built, has a 1x2 in front and back inside to screwed down.
001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a firm believer of putting no holes in my floors for water to find a way into and rot things out prematurely. I have epoxied all of my seats down in both boats that I have restored.

wellcraft_elite_xl_restoration_46_111.jpg

wellcraft_elite_xl_restoration_51_155.jpg

wellcraft_elite_xl_restoration_110_120.jpg

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is my Mark Twain with pedestal seats.

Attachments

• My Mark Twain (75) [640x480].JPG
    My Mark Twain (75) [640x480].JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 0

Robj

Lieutenant

I built the base and fibreglassed it to the deck. I too am a firm believer of not putting holes in the deck for water. This way there are no holes for water to get into.

Have a great day,

Rob.

noahnsteph

Seaman

Sounds like I'll be glassing the base in place. I'm going to use some composite decking to build the base then epoxy them in to the floor so no worries about future wood rot.

Thanks

mcbroomsear

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like I'll be glassing the base in place. I'm going to use some composite decking to build the base then epoxy them in to the floor so no worries about future wood rot.

Thanks

Sounds like a good idea. Glass the baseplate like sandwiching plywood for a transom then cover with glass and resin to waterproof.

I'd say you could then use some screws into some one by's to provide a surface to build up from. This way there would be absolutely no holes in the deck at all. Any holes you do have would be into the base plate and covered with the seat bases.

Yep, I talked myself into it! Gonna do just that!

reynold460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i took 1.5 x 4" blocks epoxied them to floor then screwed the boxes of my lounge seats to the blocks so that i could still remove them for cleaning etc

reelfishin

Captain

Here is my Mark Twain with pedestal seats.

I used the same type of seat pedestals in my Glasspar, but instead of making them permanent, when I redid the floor, I epoxied in stainless steel plates with four 5/16" stainless studs for each seat. I simply dry fit the floor, figured the seat positions, then on the back side of the floor, I used epoxy and mat to make the studs permanent and to seal around the studs. This way the pedestals are removable if they need replacing or refinishing since they do tend to rust.
The way I did it was probably way overkill but it makes it nice to pull the seats and refinish the floor each year too. The studs can't pull through and cant fall out since I trapped the plates between a second reinforcement layer of plywood around that area too. It started out as just using what I had handy without spending any money, and worked out very well.