What are the chances of me NEEDING to rebuild the carbs?

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Carbs and rebuilding is not something Im good at.

That being said I have an outboard thats been stored out in the needles sun (desert) for 5 years.

What are the chances of it starting right up after my fuel and water pump replace?

(engine is a 1978 johnson 115hp outboard)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What are the chances of me NEEDING to rebuild the carbs?

chances of burning it up are great. it will need carb cleaning, and water pump. at minimum. read awakening a sleeping outboard in the faq forum.

CATransplant

Admiral

Since you say you'll replace the water pump impeller, no matter what, no harm is done by giving it a try before pulling the carburetors for a cleaning. You might get lucky, just as I did with my 1958 Johnson 35 hp that had been sitting in a field for 5 years. I changed the impeller, put new oil in the lower unit, and it fired right up on fresh fuel mix and just kept running with no further work.

However, you could easily have an opposite result and have to pull the carb(s). No harm in trying, though, as long as you make sure to change that impeller.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I believe Tash was referring to it running lean.

Personally, I would rebuild and bath it. Im sure the jets are full of varnish/crud. But that is just my own humble opinion.

A Service manual will help alot. The following may also help, as well as the thread by TD is the FAQ.

http://www.meegsonline.com/tmd/TMDsVideoChronicle2.wmv

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

burning the motor up. that impeller will turn to dust, as soon as the motor is started, having been stored in that dry heat. the carbs will run lean. between both no water. lean condition =s siezed motor.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well I was going to change the WP before even trying to crank it over.
even if I replace the water pump it'll still turn to dust?