Bilge Pump Wiring

candiaoh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this question, but here goes. My 1990 Candia has what appears to be a failure of the automatic bilge pump. After bailing down to the bilge pump, hooking up a fresh battery, it hummed but did not appear to pump. Only a trickle of water exited the side spicket near the back of the boat. It looks like if it is not original, it has been it for a long time.

My question is this. I am going to replace this with another automatic bilge pump. The one in the boat is a three wire deal, I am assuming one is the ground another goes directly to the battery for automatic operation and the third to the console switch for manual operation.

But then there is a sizable black cable (wiring harness?) that exits directly from a top the pump, disappearing into the bowels of the boat.

Any idea what it could be? The bilge pumps I have seen simply are a three wire deal.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bilge Pump Wiring

No, this isn't the right place, but regardless, that "wiring harness" looking thing is your output hose. The pump has to send water somewhere, right?

;)

candiaoh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Bilge Pump Wiring

Nope, its not the output hose. The pump has a side discharge- looks to be about 1/2 black hose.

What I am referring to comes out directly from the top. I have no idea where it heads to after that.