nissan 90 hp oil injector

lots of boats

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: nissan 90 hp oil injector

Hi
Maybe it would help if you looked at the diagram of the engine oil supply system in a service manual. There are several places the oil supply can have trouble. The newer Nissans use an excessive amount of oil, more than a carburated 2 stroke, and oil is sent by a pump to quite a few parts, and the lines can plug, freeze, loose their seal etc. The first place to look for trouble is in the tank, unbolt it and dump it out, then in the pump, then in the lines, Most oil problems I know about are due to bad filters and water.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Not really. Oil injection systems don't fail unless there is an outside cause. Usually it's from debris in the oil or gelling caused by mixing different oils together. Of course if it was cold enough to freeze the oil then the failure would not be due to a failing of the system...It would be due to the boat operator failing to operate the engine correctly. In an extremely cold, sub zero environment, a heater would need to be installed to prevent freezing. The DFI engines actually use less oil than the carburetor models unless someone has screwed with the system by adjusting it incorrectly.

whitewater90

Cadet

I have both Yamaha 90 carb 2 strokes and 90 tohatsu TLDI engines, the Tohatsu uses way more oil than the Yamaha, close to a 25 to 1 mix above 4500 RPM. 2 stroke oil will not freeze at any temperature where boating could be taking place. I have not found any thing in the manual about changing the settings on the oil pump. Tohatsu is trying to compensate for a poorly designed engine by over oiling it.

If the engine with the oiling problem has an electric oil pump try running the pump with the engine off and see if you can hear it, I can write out the procedure if you need it. If the pump runs, check to see if it is pumping oil by pulling one of the lines off of the block or air pump and see if you are getting oil.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Gee, what a coincidence....

2 noobies- same attitude, same writing style, same passive aggressive behavior-

I am sure it is just a coincidence....

Hmmm, do we have a troll?

I don't posts much anymore in here- but am still lurking.... :)

lots of boats

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi

Maybe it would help if the person that first asked the question about oil injector failure clarified what he thought was the failure.

I use just over 1.5 liters of oil for two 22.5 liter jugs of fuel in one tohatsu 90 TLDI motor which would be about 30:1 mix if the oil was all being burned.

On another set up on a regular turn around freight haul I make with two 90 TLDI motors they use together between 29 and 36 US gallons of fuel, depending on load and weather conditions, and togther the motors use 4.5 liters of oil. Again, this is a rich mix, in the 30:1 range if the oil all burns.

This is a work situation, not trolling. I have made this turn around trip more than a thousand times in the past 34 years with various motors. So does anyone know if this oil consumption is due to engine problems or just where all this oil goes?

Cheers.

lots of boats

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi

Maybe it would help if the person that first asked the question about oil injector failure clarified what he thought was the failure.

I use just over 1.5 liters of oil for two 22.5 liter jugs of fuel in one tohatsu 90 TLDI motor which would be about 30:1 mix if the oil was all being burned.

On another set up on a regular turn around freight haul I make with two 90 TLDI motors they use together between 29 and 36 US gallons of fuel, depending on load and weather conditions, and together the motors use about 4.5 liters of oil. Again, this is a rich mix, in the 30:1 range if the oil all burns.

This is a work situation, not trolling. I have made this turn around trip more than a thousand times in the past 34 years with various motors. So does anyone know if this oil consumption in the 90 TLDI is due to engine problems or just where does all this oil go?

Cheers.