My starter is eating flywheel rings at $500+ each

96 Wellcraft

Seaman Apprentice
96 Wellcraft 21' Excel SX, 4.3 VP. I had the shop replace the starter, flywheel tooth ring, and water pump. After spending over $1500, I met friends at the launch, backed into the water, hit the key and WHIRRRRR! Starter not meeting flywheel. We were only 10 minutes away from the shop, so I took it back in on July 4th.

Today I get a call from the shop, telling they've fixed the boat again but found that the starter bolts weren't tightening down properly and that's why my new starter has an appetite for flywheel ring gears. They said they wouldn't warranty the new ring gear or starter. The tech also told me it is a common problem on 4.3 VP's and the only way to fully solve the issue is to get a new engine or short block. He said the older VP's had a larger starter that had a brace on it to help solve the issue, on the newer boats they added small high torque starter and removed the brace which compounds the issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or suggestions how to fix the boat so I don't get on the water and need a tow. Right now the boat will start, but for how long??? :mad:

Uraijit

Banned
Re: My starter is eating flywheel rings at $500+ each

If they did the "Fix" and didn't fix it, I'd sure as hell be making sure they picked up the tab! If they failed to properly tighten the starter, for ANY reason, it's their fault that things got trashed. You paid them for repairs, and the repairs didn't fix the problem.

I'd be raising hell about that. They can't blame their failure to properly repair the boat, on the boat!

As far as a fix for the block, you might be able to helicoil the starter bolt holes.

Bondo

Staff member

Today I get a call from the shop, telling they've fixed the boat again but found that the starter bolts weren't tightening down properly and that's why my new starter has an appetite for flywheel ring gears. They said they wouldn't warranty the new ring gear or starter. The tech also told me it is a common problem on 4.3 VP's and the only way to fully solve the issue is to get a new engine or short block. He said the older VP's had a larger starter that had a brace on it to help solve the issue, on the newer boats they added small high torque starter and removed the brace which compounds the issue.

Ayuh,.... I'm inclined to Agree,.....

That quote,... While not totally Lies,... Is in Fact a Large Load of Bull$h!te.....

If the holes in the Block are Stripped,.....It should have been "Found" the 1st time around,...
And Heli-coils installed at an added charge....

Btw,.....
telling they've fixed the boat again but found that the starter bolts weren't tightening down properly

If they couldn't "Fix" it the 1st time,... How did they accomplish the task This time,..??..??

chiefalen

Captain

Who says you can't install a bracket, even though it's the new style starter?
As a matter of fact they should have installed one. Sooner or latter your starter bolts would shear off, without a bracket. They have to make it right.

96 Wellcraft

Seaman Apprentice

I talked to the shop and they're going to cover the 2nd and 3rd tooth ring replacement. They also didn't charge labor on the water pump replacement. They said they were diagnosing the 2nd flywheel failure when someone noticed the starter twisting. Their solution was to replace the tooth ring for the 3rd time and bolt the starter back as tight as they could and then tack weld the bolt heads so they wouldn't turn and loosen??:confused::confused:
The explanation is that the bolt holes weren't stripped just stretched, thus not holding under stress and backing out allowing the misalignment. I won't be able now to check behind them until next week, due to tow rig issues.

ziggy

Admiral

the bolt holes weren't stripped just stretched
to me, if screw threads are stretched. that means they're getting ready to pull out. the helicoil would be the fix that i'm aware off....

maybe they're stretched because...
and bolt the starter back as tight as they could
starter bolts, like most have a specific torque value to be applied...

Last edited:

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i have seen starters in 4.3 automotive applications where the replacement starter was shorter top to bottom,the bolts bottom out in the block before they are tight. the simple fix is to put some washers on the bolt before it is installed thru the starter. good luck,hope it works out ok

Uraijit

Banned

I talked to the shop and they're going to cover the 2nd and 3rd tooth ring replacement. They also didn't charge labor on the water pump replacement. They said they were diagnosing the 2nd flywheel failure when someone noticed the starter twisting. Their solution was to replace the tooth ring for the 3rd time and bolt the starter back as tight as they could and then tack weld the bolt heads so they wouldn't turn and loosen??:confused::confused:
The explanation is that the bolt holes weren't stripped just stretched, thus not holding under stress and backing out allowing the misalignment. I won't be able now to check behind them until next week, due to tow rig issues.

Well, it's good that you didn't let them take you for more money, but that repair sounds just downright shoddy! For all the time they've wasted, they could have just lifted the block (which they probably did to replace the flywheel anyway), and drilled it for a helicoil. I guess if the starter holds for now, then there's no point in UNDOING what they've done, but I reckon I'd be looking for a new marina to have my boat serviced at, if I were you... :(

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Furthermore, if the threads are really stretched as they said, tack welding the heads of the bolts to the starter will solve nothing as the bolts can still pull free without turning. Its the starter stressing things, not the bolts. You need a new shop -- or at least a new tech.

Gazza1

Seaman Apprentice

Isn't the drive end of the starter Alloy, how would they spot weld the heads of the bolts?? I know that the starter off my 79 260hp mercruiser is alloy!

Gazza1

Seaman Apprentice

Another thought, Has the pinion gear on the starter have the right number of teeth? Now for this starter to take out the 3rd ring gear, and I don't think I would blame the "Starter Flexing", something is not very right, I think that someone is making excuses for their sh*t work. Sounds to me that who ever fitted the new starter stuffed up along the line somewhere and didn't check the number of teeth on the old pinion.
Best or luck with it