Smart Tabs SX install Video & pics

adam072101

Cadet
I just got these installed and wanted to post the vid and pics...

Will post more after the test run on thursday...

I have read good things about them; and wanted to add my $0.02 too!!!

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4-RF8OtKcw

Pics below:

Adam

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0

redfury

Commander
Re: Smart Tabs SX install Video & pics

Must be like a small shock absorber on the arm of that thing so it's not trimmed down that much at plane I assume? Hydraulic pressure keeps them pushed up, while they push down to keep the nose down? Be interesting to see the difference with them up and down as to how quick it comes on plane.

Question..can you switch the position from above the swim platform ( on the lake )?

WizeOne

Commander

Question..can you switch the position from above the swim platform ( on the lake )?

The purpose of that bracket is not for operational adjustment. It is simply there to retract the tabs for beaching or agressive backing up.

In fact, the original intent for those brackets were to be installed the otherway around so that the tabs would act as a speed brake for trolling.

adam072101 that was a neat vid but for Heavens sake, yank that whale tale off your drive! Sheeesh!!:rolleyes:

adam072101

Cadet

Yeah, the tabs are controlled by speed and the pressure of the water when running... The whole purpose is to plane out sooner and keep the bow lower when running, as well as, just better handling over all. But, wise one is correct; the bracket is not for underway adjustment. Just to keep them from ripping off when beaching or aggressive reverse. It would be neat to use the trolling setup with the tabs even further down, but the SX series is set to not go below 25 degrees... So that isn't an option right now...

As for the Hydrofoil on the sterndrive, it was there when I bought the boat. It has 185hp 305 V-8 in the back and it is heavy... She gets on plane alright now, but faster on plane and at slower speeds would be better. If the tabs work well, I plan on taking on the "whale tail" and trying it without. If it runs as good; it is in the garbage!!!

Question, the 3M 5200 I used to seal the screw holes calls for a 7 day cure. Is the full 7 days really necessary? I really want to test this setup out, and my dad is chomping at the bit to do it, too. (he supervised the installation from his lawn chair!!!)

I'll keep you updated.

Adam

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

do not use both. the whale tail will interferre with the tabs.

redfury

Commander

The purpose of that bracket is not for operational adjustment. It is simply there to retract the tabs for beaching or agressive backing up.

In fact, the original intent for those brackets were to be installed the otherway around so that the tabs would act as a speed brake for trolling.

adam072101 that was a neat vid but for Heavens sake, yank that whale tale off your drive! Sheeesh!!:rolleyes:

What I meant was that if he needed to raise them for whatever reason while on the lake, if he could get access to that flip up bracket. I was just curious if that was going to be an issue.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I thought it was funny when you were headed to the other side, and got distracted by the motor, and paused to show us.

;-)

adam072101

Cadet

Would the whale tail interfere with the operation of the trim tabs? I had planned on taking it off, most likely; but if the consensus is that it would cause a problem then I will definitely take it off...

What do you think? Will the "whale tail" interfere?

As for the sterndrive... I paused to recognize it because I have read so many posts from members about the OMC stringers not being any good and to RUN FROM THEM!!! I, on the other hand, enjoy my OMC stringer (White Elephant, as my parts guy calls it). It tilts up much faster than hydraulics, turns on a dime, and is an all around good outdrive. It does have some drawbacks, but hey... Everything has some drawbacks...

I don't know if I will be able to flip the port trim tab from the swim platform or if I'll have to get in the water... But that is of little consequence... I mostly ski with the boat and it wouldn't matter if I did have to get wet before I beached it. I won't need to flip them up to trailer, though... So that's a good thing.

Any ideas on having to wait the 7 days on the cure time for the 5200? As it stands right now, I plan on waiting it out... What do you think?

I'll be checking back... and when testing is done; will repost.

adam

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dunked my bay about 6 hrs after installing some brackets on the stern (5200). It has cured fine.

If you have a large blob of the stuff, it will take a while to get hard, but in thin applications, it's pretty quick.

It also will cure fully if submerged.

Get out there and give us some 'real world' feedback on the tabs...

I would do as you say..try first with the foil, then without... It's only like six screws.

As far as 'interference'.... Hydrofoils cause problems with a lot of people who have never tried them, but don't seem to bother those who use them;)

vwfoolwhy

Seaman

I have the "whale tale" on my OMC Stinger Outdrive along with my Hydraulic Trim Tabs and every thing works great for me.

If you find a difference between running it with & without let us know.

I just rebuilt one of my spare OD's to go along with my re-powered project and the fresh OD has no "Whale Tale on it".

Mike
Methuen, MA

adam072101

Cadet

GREAT NEWS!!!!

Tested the tabs today... Man, they are awesome!!! Too much to write about in full. Some here's the short of it:

1. bow stayed way down when taking off and running
2. basically started on plane... (well, not really... but best way to describe it!) - and boat stays "nearly" level in even hard turns. (much better than before)
3. had to take "whale tail" off (interfered with steering when tabs down)
3.a. boat pulled to left with tail on
4. tail off now, and boat runs better than ever. Steers super easy
5. made adjustment to weaken tabs by one setting... But moved back to middle adjustment after testing...

COULDN'T BE HAPPIER WITH THEIR PERFORMANCE!!!!

Boat basically starts on plane... with nice wake. haven't tried slaloming behind it, yet; but will soon.

Got too excited during test and forget to video. Will video next time out: tabs "up" vs tabs "down"... Will do my best to make the runs as close to the same speed and rpm as I can.

SMART TABS SX GETS MY VOTE!!! ARE THEY ON YOUR BOAT???

Elated...

adam

WizeOne

Commander

.... ARE THEY ON YOUR BOAT??? .....

Isn't that supposed to read; "What's on your Boat?":p

Real glad to hear adam. I thought them to be quite miraculous myself. Now if only the diehard whaletale adherants would read your post!;)

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Just to confirm that you should not use any additional planning devise when using Smart Tabs. Smart Tabs produce some lift even when retracted since they are under pressure. This provides "Ride" control like springs and shocks on a car. However, too much pressure can drive the bow down which will slow the boat instead of allowing it to increase speed. It is a balance issue and that is why they are adjustable. You tune them to your boat. If you use a hydrofoil or any other fixed planning devise in addition to Smart Tabs, the extra lift will drive the bow down, causing a list to port, slower top speed, and bow steering.

Sideb00m

Recruit

Hi People. There was one fellow that posted pictures of an install of smart tabs on a tahoe boat. Got locked out and now I can't find it. Any suggestions?

Boatman606

Cadet

I just got these installed and wanted to post the vid and pics...

Will post more after the test run on thursday...

I have read good things about them; and wanted to add my $0.02 too!!!

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4-RF8OtKcw

Pics below:

Adam

Adam,
Do you remember the bracket part number.
I've tried finding one but have had no luck.
Would love to have the option of raising them for beaching the boat
Thanks