Advice reguarding 1993 Spectrum boat

gottztagetrice

Recruit
Hello everyone.

I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase a 93 Spectrum Boat with a 97 75hp Force motor. So far, I havent heard very many good things about the Spectrum boat series nor Force motors.

Here is a link to the craigslist add...
HTML:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/745713639.html

I went and checked the boat out the other day and it looked solid. The motor looked untouched under the cover as if it had just come out of the box. The guy also started the motor and it roared! None the less, it looks good and sounds good, but is it for real?

Thanks,

Chris

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Advice reguarding 1993 Spectrum boat

Ok here's the deal....Spectrum is the Bayliner of aluminum boats (may actually be the same company). Now that does not mean it a bad boat. But they were entry level boats which means a lot of entry level owners who didn't necessarily know how to take care of them. So they got a bad reputation that wasn't entirely their fault. Anyway, being an aluminum boat is good because your potential for wallet-eating disaster is somewhat limited. Worst case scenario is the deck (floor) and transom are rotted and neither of those are too bad of jobs on an aluminum. Force motors, similar scenario. Not the best motors but properly maintained they can be just as reliable as anything else. The problem is that parts and service for them are becoming scarce.

Should any of these things mean you shouldn't buy this boat? Not necessarily. This one looks to be very well maintained and with a 75 on a 16 1/2 foot boat is appropriately powered. However, the price is WAY high. That's a Lund/Mercury price as far as I'm concerned.