water leaking in boat and oil in outdrive creamy white

MIsearay

Cadet
Over the weekend my boat sat in the water overnight and I believe to have determined the water got in through the shiftcable boot. That is the only one thAt is torn. when I pulled the sterndrive off I have white creamy/milky oil smells like 80/90 gear lube. does not seam watery but has a white creamy like feeking to it. My boat is a 77 searay with a mercruiser470 motor. I do not know when thee oil in the outdrive was changed last or even how to check it or fill it this point, but sure I can figure that out. what should the oil look like on this unit? thanks for the input. Also should replace all the bellows or just the shiftcable bellow? the gimble bearing spins real freely so I think I will leave it alone. thanks for the inout Aaron

Bondo

Staff member
Re: water leaking in boat and oil in outdrive creamy white

Also should replace all the bellows or just the shiftcable bellow?

Ayuh,.... Do'em All,.... Including he Shift Cable itself.....

And,.. I'm not sure Which Manual you need,...
So,... Click Here,+ You can choose.....
I warn you, Many are Very Large Files....

MIsearay

Cadet

could the oil have water in it beacuse of the shift bellow leaking? Is there any special tools I need to pick up before I take this project any farther?

MIsearay

Cadet

no one has input on this?

ziggy

Admiral

if ya don't know when the rubber was replaced last. bondos got the word. do them all. since the shift cable bellows ripped. hard to think the others ain't far behind it... do them all....
as for special tools. decide what ya want to do and get yer service manual from bondos link.... then read it.... it has exactly what your going to be doing in it, step by step.... it'll tell ya when ya need a special mercrusier tool. if you had water intrusion into the bellows area... ya may consider R&Ring the ujoints, gimble brg. as they don't like water and rust... nor does the driven gear yoke. if water intrusion into bellows area. the yoke can get rusty too, leading to ft. seal of the drive failur.... if you have water in your bellows. also check your drive fluid as this ft. seal on the drive keeps gear lub in, but does not keep water out...... water in your drive lub is not good either.... drain it to see if it's milky too, or has metal pieces in it when it's draining... that's wouldn't be good either....
get your service manual and check it out... it has all the facts in it....

dry dock

Seaman Apprentice

did mine last winter, engine alignment tool (borrowed from a boat mechanic) slide hammer rented from checker (for bearing), check your trim sending units see if they need replaced, all of this needs to come apart to replace your shift boot and replace your lower shift cable. this was my first time working on the drive its not that hard just takes time . good luck if you have problems just ask.