Interchange of 1964 and 1968 650, 65 hp parts

elark7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1968 650 without the charging parts. Although it appears that it may have had them at some point as some of the wires are still there. I am rewiring the motor side and want to add the ability to charge the battery. I also have a 1964 650 with the parts to charge the battery. Are they basically the same for those years? I have the wiring diagram for both and there doesn't appear to be much difference. Anyone ever added these parts to a motor that did not have them originally? Thanks in advance.

Yachtzee

Seaman
Re: Interchange of 1964 and 1968 650, 65 hp parts

I also have several 650s, three to be exact, one as you have with a magneto and starter but no charging system.

If your originally had a charging system it will have magnets around the inside circumference of the underside of the flywheel. My old motor has no magnets.

The charging system is simple. The flywheel and it's magnets. the stator coils that mount on top of the top of the motor under the flywheel and the rectifier. Two wires from the stator coil go to the inputs for the rectifier. On most one wire goes out to the battery and the case or stud on the rectifier is ground. It is completely isolated from the rest of the electicals except for the battery lead.
That's it. There are several kinds of rectifiers and even aftermarket parts that will work. Stators are available online. If your flywheel has no magnets you need a new one that does. you need a flywheel puller to get it off or I suppose you could just change the rim part and leave the center part on the shaft, but I'd want a matched set. Maybe some old merc guy could counsel you on that. If your flywheel has magnets you are halfway there.

Yachtzee

Seaman
Re: Interchange of 1964 and 1968 650, 65 hp parts

I forgot to say that it has been my experience that you can interchange the parts. Recifiers are different and mount in different ways and locations but do the same job. I believe that I have heard that the charging system in the thunderbolt models is a bit beefier, I d not know if that is true, I do not see much difference. The stators seem to fit the various years. Flywheels from the various ignition styles may have different timing marks I'd want to understand the timing issues.