fuel pump or carb or ?

guinness

Cadet
Here's a chance to shake down newbie....

Ran my 90's vintage 30hp OMC (it is ex military and painted black, so I don't know if it is Evinrude or Johnson) outboard yesterday for first time this year. Started fine and ran great for about 2 minutes then died like you hit the kill switch. It has no choke, but a "charging" lever- one pull out and push in sends a fuel charge into the cylinder to start. One cycle on the charging lever and one pull fires it back up but then only for about 5 seconds then it conks out again regardless of what you do with the throttle. The fuel bulb is firm and the vent cap is open. Yes, you can spank me and call me names because it was last year's gas, but I had used stabil when I last ran it so I thought it would be OK. If you were me, what would you check/do first? Ok, second as well.

guinness

Cadet
Re: fuel pump or carb or ?

Oh yeah one other important? note. I noticed that the part called the actuator cam had broken where a little metal linkage rod connected to it. The rod was hanging loose. It this rod somehow connected to fuel flow? I am picking up a new one after work. Thanks all.