Hot Water In The Bottom Of My 1994 Bayliner Jazz Jet Boat

kmartin

Cadet
I just bought a 1994 Bayliner Jazz Jet Boat about a month ago and I have had it on the water every weekend since. Yesterday, hot water started coming in the bottom of the boat. Luckly we were on our way to the boat ramp to take the boat out. I opened the engine cover and there was a good amount of water back there as well. The drain plug was still in place. Of course, we drained the water out. The only thing I did different during the outing was to push the throttle all the way down. We were running at about 40 mph for a short period of time. The lake was really rough and we hit some pretty big waves. Do you think I could have loosened the drain plug enough to let water in? Or maybe the blidge pump isn't working... I really can't afford a repair at the marine shop right now. Also if anyone has a link to the owner's manual for this boat, I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks in advance.

Karen

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Hot Water In The Bottom Of My 1994 Bayliner Jazz Jet Boat

So where's the hot water come into all this ? if the water in the bilge was hot then your leaking from the exhaust manifolds.....$$$$$$$. If the water is cool then it may be a leaking intake hose,or seal at pump intake,chances of the plug coming loose???you'll know next time you run it after torquing it bigtime..

rndn

Commander

How much water and was it really "hot". Along with above is it possible you took on that much water in the rough conditions? Did you check to make sure the bilge was dry prior to going out for that day? Is your bilge set to the automatic setting if equipped?

kmartin

Cadet

Yes, I checked the amount of water in the bilge before I went out. Hardly any. The water was really hot and about a ft deep. Almost too hot to put my feet in. I was told the bilge pump was automatic. The float for the pump was floating if that makes sense. I could have taken on water when I hit a patch of rough water, but I don't think it would of been hot. Where is the exhaust manifold on the motor? There's a semi-broken plastic tube that either vents out the smoke or takes in air, I don't know which. Does that have anything to do with what you are talking about. As I'm sure you have guessed, I don't know much about engines, but I'm willing to learn if I can.
That's why I'm in search of an Owner's Manual for this boat. If anyone has a link to one, my email is: kmartin@mtsu.edu

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some pics of the broken piece???

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Karen...first off,do you know if its a 90 or a 120..?
the motor for the BAYJAZ is a mercury sportjet, Bayliner didn't start to use the 120 until 1995,so i assume its a 90,given that, this is what you need http://www.themotorbookstore.com/clymmersporj.html
drop that address into the search bar, and it will show the manual for your engine....i wouldn't use the boat again until you diagnose the problem...it sounds like the exhaust manifold...

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

FYI if your float switch is up and the pump isn't running, something's wrong. Switch is bad, pump is bad, fuse is blown or wiring isn't connected or is corroded.

I think the hose you're talking about is the engine compartment vent hose, but as others have said, pictures are needed next.

RyanSS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

have you tried running it on the hose with muffs? See if it fills with water when doing this. Maybe you'll be able to see where it's leaking?

Nandy

Commander

Do check that problem before you use the boat again. To me it sounds like your raw water system is leaking to the boat. You can ruin your motor. Take as many photos as you can from that tube you mention. You also seem to have a problem with your bilge pump, but lets take care of your motor first, then we can move on...

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

have you tried running it on the hose with muffs? See if it fills with water when doing this. Maybe you'll be able to see where it's leaking?

Gentlemen, what we have here is a jet boat..the water pickup is a grate located on the bottom of the hull,like a jetski,theres no way to land-run this puppy.

Karen...for future reference ,these boats don't have a real deep "V" hull,so take it easy on the waves,my SR120 had to have engine mounts replaced due to my frolicking in the waves..

kmartin

Cadet

Sorry guys, I didn't have time yesterday to take photos before it got dark outside. Will try today (Tuesday). Thanks for your replies so far.

kmartin

Cadet

Oh, I forgot to tell you that it's a 90HP.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Karen..in that case,the link i provided will steer you to the correct manual,you might want to check your local library.....
My other suggestion is to bring the boat to a public ramp..keeping it on the trailer,back it in just enough to ensure the water pick-up is submerged (about 1-2 feet in front of engine) start it up..and at idle, check to see where water is coming in...Faster diagnosis..with the amount of water you described it, hopefully ,will be obvious...

RyanSS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gentlemen, what we have here is a jet boat..the water pickup is a grate located on the bottom of the hull,like a jetski,theres no way to land-run this puppy

haha!...oops, my bad!

kmartin

Cadet

I am hopefully sending the pics you requested. I took a lot of them. Every angle I could think of. Hope this helps. I also did a visual search of the boat, including the bottom. I found several places where the fiberglass was missing, but no holes I could see or feel. And I ordered the book you suggested yesterday. It should come in the mail in a couple of days. http://C:\Documents and Settings\KMARTIN\My Documents\My Pictures\BOAT JET ENGINE[/IMG]

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe you have an OMC jet drive-look for OMC on the throttle lever. If so you can run it connected to a water hose with a "kit" that is just a fitting that goes between the drive housings with the drive half opened. You could also spice a hose to the intake off the drive housing mjust inside the transome. You can get alll the parts you need from TurboJet. There is no online manuals and the used ones on Ebay are very expensive. The claymer manual is worse than nothing.
Sounds like the joint on the bottom of your watermuffler is loose. Thighten the 9/16" nuts at the base and recheck. Also add a water strainer if you don't already have one.

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

She has a Merc SJ 90hp, not an OMC. Also, the SJ's can be run on garden hose-carefully. looking at the engine from the rear on the right side you'll see a black hose connected to a fitting at right rear of engine base. That fitting goes through base and connects to pump, if you ever have the wear ring off you'll notice a hole that supplies engine cooling water.
Disconect the hose from the right angle floor fitting, do not attempt to remove the actual fitting threaded into the floor. Now the disconnected hose can be lifted out of your engine compartment and a garden hose attached by purchasing 2 fittings for under $5 at home depot (I can't recall sizes-fitting names)

Running SJ's on garden hose is tricky business, boats pump only supplies under 10lbs water pressure through that hose...so never crack open your city water supply fully. You must open the water before starting the engine, otherwise unspent fuel may collect in a cavity above the ride plate and backfire blowing it off....not good. Once the engines started and exhaust back presure is present open the water presure more to keep the engine cool and hopefully find your leak.

Hot water in bilge-I'm guessing its the exhaust boot clamp. Look in chapter 4, page 3 of manual I just sent you...see a?

I used that pic for example as b is the black hose I mentioned earlier to supply engine with water-disconnect the other end when running on hose.

kmartin

Cadet

Hey Zamboni, Next to the last paragraph says you sent me a manual. I didn't get one... Did I miss something?

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good call Zamboni...
glad you warned about water pressure,i cracked the block on my SeaRay F16 120 SJ...Ouch$$$$$$$
Karen...load the pics again..cant retrieve.

kmartin

Cadet

Sorry Zamboni, found the manual!!!