1976 Johnson 70HP rehab issues

dcarmack

Cadet
I rescued my Dad's boat with a 76 Johnson 70 horse outboard from his front yard. It has sat there for the last two years. When I started it on the trailer with 'earmuffs' on the water intake water came out of the telltale on the front of the engine, but not from the three discharge ports above the intake ports on the lower unit. Is this normal?

Also, the engine will run at high speed forward or reverse in the driveway, but not on the lake. Any throttle above idle on the lake causes the engine to load up and die in forward or reverse. Runs smooth at idle for a while, but after a while it will even die at idle on the lake. I have not done any maintenance yet except to clean the fuel filter, which was exceptionally dirty. I replaced the fuel line and bulb and bought a new gas can, so fuel is clean at this time.

What should I do next?

Nandy

Commander
Re: 1976 Johnson 70HP rehab issues

read TD's link. You might have a reed problem but there are more reasons for this to happen. Also, it is not advisable to put your motor in gear while in earmuffs, much less hit rpms larger than idle.