Do I need to flush out engine

seaboss

Cadet
Do I need to flush out the engine after use in Lake George? Lake George is in North Central Florida near Ocala. Normally I would but I can't find the mechanism attachment for the hose. The lake is fresh water but I think has some degree of salt but I'm not an expert on this obviously. If anyone has boating on Lake George Florida let me know.

This boating forum is great!

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Do I need to flush out engine

You should flush in salt use every time you go out,for fresh water use about every 10 trips,in brackish water 1/2 that,make sure all your zinc's are in good shape.

seaboss

Cadet

You should flush in salt use every time you go out,for fresh water use about every 10 trips,in brackish water 1/2 that,make sure all your zinc's are in good shape.

Your saying to flush in fresh water every 10 times? Is that what you meant?

What are zinc's?

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yup, just as a preventative measure,every ten times i cruise the waterway,i flush the motor,it cant hurt. salt you want to flush EVERY time,salt is the major engine killer.Zinc's are sacrificial anodes attached to the motor that protect it from corrosion...Read here -http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/23.htm

what is your boat/motor/year?

seaboss

Cadet

Yup, just as a preventative measure,every ten times i cruise the waterway,i flush the motor,it cant hurt. salt you want to flush EVERY time,salt is the major engine killer.Zinc's are sacrificial anodes attached to the motor that protect it from corrosion...Read here -http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/23.htm

what is your boat/motor/year?

The boat is 2008 SeaBoss 21' bay.

Oh yeah, I know what the zinc's are now. They are fine.

It's a new boat and I get so damn nervous about taking care of it because of the 96 monthly payments!

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

great boat,take good care of her and she'll last way beyond the 96 payments...but in my opinion,you cant flush her to much,just dont rev engine while doing it..good luck!!

seaboss

Cadet

great boat,take good care of her and she'll last way beyond the 96 payments...but in my opinion,you cant flush her to much,just dont rev engine while doing it..good luck!!

What would be some sure ways to take care of the boat so that it will last for years?

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Care & feeding of boats: beginning of season
wash boat, wax every glass surface possible (except non-skid boarding/walking areas)
use 303 fabric protector on Bimini/vinyl seats.
spray Corrosion Block on underdash wiring terminals
Ok,so now your protected for the season,Maintainance:
after use - wash boat with BOAT soap (Orpine) as to not remove wax, dry all surfaces.If hull gets discolored use TSP - Tri Sodium Phosphate-dissolved in H2O to remove discoloration,try not to get suntan oil/lotion on vinyl,cloth seat protectors work great & cheap, Motor- rigidly follow manufacturers routine maintainance schedule,don't skimp on oil..use quicksilver,as opposed to a cheaper brand.If you trailer the boat every outing its easier to keep clean,if shes in the water ...i know its a pain...but get into a routine and stick by it.
Recommended products -wax,Collinite ( e-bay) 303 surface protectant - Good Luck Amigo!! & Have Fun