refueling help, keeps pouring out

sdexcalibur

Seaman Apprentice
put gas in her for the first time stince i brought her home, The gauge says 1/2 full, I start putting gas in the tank and it starts spilling out, So I stop, wait a few sec to assest the sistuation, I try again, and it starts taken gas, about 2 gallongs later same thing, I waited and started again, same end result, I put about 7 gallons in it( what spilled was min. at best), the gauge reads 3/4 full which I was told you can't trust the fuel gauges in a boat, Should I be able to fill it up like a car or is starting and stoping just part of boat refueling, If not any ideas on how to help it
Steve

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: refueling help, keeps pouring out

Sounds like the tank isn't venting properly. Where's the vent?

john from md

Commander

Need more info.

Manufacturer
Model
Type of tank and material
capacity

John

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

some filler tubes are finicky, and will not take filling at full force.

Bass Tracker TX17

Petty Officer 1st Class

My tracker is finicky. Has to be filled on first notch. sometimes changing the angle of the nozzle helps. If you post the year, make, of the boat there might be others here with the same unit and can lead you in the right direction.

sdexcalibur

Seaman Apprentice

it's a 1983 bayliner capri, i was told it's a 20 gallon tank, as far as vent not sure, but their are 2 on the sides of the boat don't know if it has anything to do with the fuel tank

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Those vents you see are probably the engine compartment vents.

Your fuel tank has separate places to vent, and they are very likely plugged. If you can't expel the air from the vent, it'll come out the fill tube, pushing fuel out along with it.