stainless versus aluminum

I have a 23 foot cruiser with an ib/ob 350 crusing speed 35knotts. i just re did my outdrive and was wondering if i should reinstall my perfectly good "except a feww knicks" aluminum prop or if i should install a new stainless prop? what is the real differnce if any? i mean hey if i am gonna get a few more knotts in speed out of it then cool ill do it, but if its just for looks i would like to know, i assume being stainless it has got to be more durable buut any more positives with a stainless prop?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: stainless versus aluminum

While it may be true that some folks buy stainless props purely for the "bling", there are valid reasons for using one. But here are the basics. Aluminum props are light weight, cost less, easier to repair if damaged, and MAY not cause lower unit damage if it strikes something like a rock. Obviously the prop will be severely damaged. The blades on an aluminum prop tend to flex a little under hard hole shot. Stainless props are very heavy, cost a bunch more, are more costly to repair, are a target for thieves, are far more durable than aluminum, and the blades do not flex as much as aluminum. Stainless props tend to be more efficient that a similar design in aluminum and therefore are better performers. How much more depends on a whole host of things. Also be aware that all props are not created equal. A 19P prop (aluminum or stainless) from Manufacturer "A" may or may not (generally NOT) perform identically to a 19P prop from Manufacturer "B". So by all means, if possible, try before you buy. Right here on iBoats, you have that option in the form of a Rite Prop program.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

If you are happy with the aluminum one, run it until you bum it up and need it rebuilt, then spring for a stainless one. I wised up and bought a stainless on 10 years ago after dinging, fixing, dinging again aluminum props. It was the best boat money I ever spent, IMO.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A stainless is more rugged and stands up better against soft contacts, stumps ,sand mud etc.But when damaged is more expensive to repair.Usually a stainless will perform better than aluminum,resists ventilation better.Wheather the stainless will save enough fuel for the investment is debateable.At over $4 a gallon the make up is surely quicker.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I prefer stainless, but have had to replace the propshft after hitting a couple of rocks. Was only going 22mph at time of impact. Bent and tore the blades but they didn't break off. That's the neat thing about stainless, it will just reshape itself into a ball of stainless steel

Kev144

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Run SS props on my performance boats all the time. 2006 Baja Outlaw, 89 Charger DL with 150 merc and STV with a 2.5L 260hp merc o/b.