water pump sleeve

JFish

Cadet
When I dropped my lower unit, the plastic guide sleeve on the water pump was somewhat melted to the inlet tubing. I had to pull it off with needlenose pliers. A small part of it remains because I can't access it. Whats going on here? Is this anything to do with my high water pressure and still running on the edge of ovverheating? It doesn't seem like the cool water flowing through the tubing woulld allow this to happen.

Thanks,
JFish

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: water pump sleeve

You evidently overheated somewhere along the line and it melted.It's just a guide tube and not that important to replace.
Now comes to the overheat!!!! Why/when/how bad???
Check the pickup tube for blockage.Check for old impeller pieces.
When you changed it was the wear plate scored ,the housing melted , cracked? Look around see what damage has been done.Jerry

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

An important clue to your overheating is your high water pressure, either the poppet valve is not opening correctly OR sand, crud, plant material, something is blocking the water holes in the exhaust plate, water cannot get OUT of the engine and temps rise, exhaust flow is also not cooled, melting the guide tube.

JFish

Cadet

I didn't find any evidence of the impellor, wear plate, etc... overheating. The intake nozzle is clear of debris.The sleeve seemed to have melted from the exhaust somehow.The plastic water pump housing was in excellent condition.

Thanks,
JFish

JFish

Cadet

I've removed the exhaust chest and didn't find anything restricting water flow. One thing to note, when I get on plane and turn 2500-3000 RPM, I have approximately 12-14 psig water pressure (poppet valve is closed)and the engine will overheat rapidly (1-1.5 minutes) from a cold start. Is there any flow through the block when the thermostats and poppet valve are closed.
I pulled my thermostats and ran it. Still hot.

Thanks,
JFish