Considering buying a 1992 Sea Ray Sundancer 230 LTD

bobo3020

Cadet
Hi, I'm new to this site, but wanted to say that the threads are really informative! I'm thinking about buying a used 1992 Sea Ray Sundancer 230LTD. It doesn't have the orginal engine, it has a 350 hp Chevy, not sure 500what the reason. The seller is asking $11,500, but willing to sell for 9,500. Any insight into common problems or things to look for with this year and model?

Any help would be appreciated!

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Considering buying a 1992 Sea Ray Sundancer 230 LTD

23 feet...16 years old...10K it better be pristine.....post some pics..and find out how many hours she has on the engine..how was it stored....deck solid?...NEED MORE INPUT:D
Thats alot of coin for that year & boat..and i love SR.

bobo3020

Cadet

I'm going to look at it this week. NADA book value with that engine is between 8-9K, without is about 1,600 lower. Unfortuneately, he owns a car lot and somehow picked this boat up. It doesn't sound like he knows too much about it, but does have it on the water now. Thanks for your input, I'll report back when I know more.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

I love my Sea Rays and that is a nice model, but used car dealers with boats just scare the sh!t out of me. The price is a little high. I just picked up a fully loaded '99 215-EC with 198 hours for $15K. If you do not know boats, you really need someone with you to check it out. Do not purchase without a mechanical overview and sea trail. Used car dealers usually balk at sea trails. I guess they are just better at road trails for cars. Be careful and good luck!

AND WELCOME TO iboats !!!

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

if the boat is in pretty good shape that 9500 isnt a bad price for that boat. i have seen older dancers bring more. the dancer is one of the more popular models and the for the year look newer than they are
the biggest thing you need to make sure
of is the drive and engine.
if it realy is a 350 hp you need a bravo drive and if it under a 5.7 it going to be a little under powered.
again engine and drive package will make a big difference in what its realy worth

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

all so i'm taking about FRESH WATER boats. no SALT WATER

bobo3020

Cadet

Thanks again for all of the insight. If this Sea Ray doesn't work out, do you have any suggestions of the best boat for the money in the 10 - 15K range? I do want a cuddy that we can sleep in and I/O drive, other than that, I'm open.

Thanks

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

In my opinion, you are already looking in the right direction. Pocket cruisers are a dime a dozen right now and in my book, nobody does them like Sea Ray. Any Sundancer, Weekender or Express will do fine.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

In my opinion, you are already looking in the right direction. Pocket cruisers are a dime a dozen right now and in my book, nobody does them like Sea Ray. Any Sundancer, Weekender or Express will do fine.

i would say the same thing
the weekender has features that my wife likes more than the dancer. i think you have to look at and if possiable get a ride on some befor you make up your mind.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if the boat is in pretty good shape that 9500 isnt a bad price for that boat. i have seen older dancers bring more. the dancer is one of the more popular models and the for the year look newer than they are
the biggest thing you need to make sure
of is the drive and engine.
if it realy is a 350 hp you need a bravo drive and if it under a 5.7 it going to be a little under powered.
again engine and drive package will make a big difference in what its realy worth
Its amazing how much a used boat will fluctuate in price depending on the area/region, 10K for a 16 YO searay's alot down here,more like 7500-8500 in good shape,plus dont go by NADA ,there pricing's good for new models not old..and given its a car dealer there might be more wiggle room...cars aren't exactly selling like hot cakes right now..Offer him 7500 see if he bites...

bobo3020

Cadet

I've found two others to throw into the mix. The first is a 1997 Caravelle Interceptor 232SC, low hours, looks clean, cuddy. 5.7 Alpha 1. The other is a 1996 Crownline 250CR. cuddy, 7.4 merc, boat 420 hours, but engine replaced 6 yrs ago, 220 hrs. I think that I've read that the crowlines are good, but haven't heard much on the caravelle. Any thoughts?

Thanks

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think you'll find out that a boat is not quite like a car when it comes to being used. Boats tend to be abused much more readily than used cars, and you can get yourself into a HUGE hole real fast with a used boat.

To get a really good opinion from this board, you'd be better off posting pictures, telling us about the previous owner, and asking the previous owner all the used-boat questions (how was it stored, was he a DIY guy or was it maintained by a mechanic, what's the compression on the engine, etc). The most important stuff when asking for an opinion is for the board to know what kind of engine and drive the boat has in it. Next is hull condition (not the seats - the fiberglass, floor, stringers, transom - structural stuff).

There's a few things that are consistent from one hull to the next, but not too many to worry about. Spend LOTS of time inspecting the engine, drive, controls and wiring. If those are hosed up they add up very quickly.

stinger222

Petty Officer 2nd Class

23 feet...16 years old...10K it better be pristine.....post some pics..and find out how many hours she has on the engine..how was it stored....deck solid?...NEED MORE INPUT:D
Thats alot of coin for that year & boat..and i love SR.

If it is in good shape, 9500 wouldn't be a bad price for a 23 ft searay with a cuddy. Go price out a comparable brand new searay and you'll spend 50-60k at least. I'm currently selling one of my boats for around $10k and it is funny how prospective buyers are pointing out every little cosmetic flaw. I tell them to go to the new dealership and price out a comparable boat the same length.

Buying from someone who doesn't know much about it would make me a little nervous though.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stinger..
its 16 years old.....
SeaRay made ,like,thousands of them.
Supply & demand
9K ..around here it will sit for years at that price.
Your in Texas..i'm in North Carolina.= used price difference.
On used, referring to the same manufacturer's new boat price
doesn't make any difference..its used & 16 years old.
cant use the same logic for boats as you can cars.

bobo3020

Cadet

Thanks for all the help. I scrapped the Sea Ray because there were too many unknowns with the car dealer. I'm looking at a couple more. I'll start a new thread.