I have a 50 hp johnson and cant get the tube from the water pump to the power head to

luv2fishaz

Cadet
Hello everyone this is my first time one this site. I have a 1982 johnson 50 hp that I have resealed the lower end and replaced the impellor and replaced the tstat. The motor starts right up and runs fine for the short amount of time I can run it because i am not getting water to the power head. When I disassembled it the second time I noticed the tubing was bent and I tried to straighten it out. I did get it to come down a little bit without elongating the tubing but when I put it back together it is still leaking from the top part of the lower unit. I am not getting water in the oil. How do I get the tubing to seal and what am I doing wrong. I have recently purchased the boat and motor and I love to work on my stuff. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Ed

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: I have a 50 hp johnson and cant get the tube from the water pump to the power hea

It sounds like someone at some time has installed the lower unit without having the water tube inserted properly in the water pump grommet. This usually results in having some other portion of the water pump hit the bottom of the water tube and as the lower unit is tightened up, the tube is bent upwards.

There is a rubber water tube grommet in the water pump impeller housing.

Measure from the top lower unit surface up to the bottom portion of that grommet and jot down that measurement.

Now, lay a flat object across the bottom surface of the exhaust housing and measue up to the bottom of the water tube. The measurements must equal. If not, you'll need to grab that water tobe with long nose pliers or whatever while looking upwards in that exhaust housing and prying on the area that's bent in an effort to pull the water tube down to where it belongs.

Yes, that's going to cause the tube to go out of round but you can correct that problem later with the long nose pliers.

The alternative (if the tube is actually bent) is to remove the powerhead and adapter plate to install a new water tube..... a time consuming ordeal.

luv2fishaz

Cadet
Re: I have a 50 hp johnson and cant get the tube from the water pump to the power hea

Thank you Joe I will try that and let you know what happens. Once again Thank you. best regards. Ed Kramer