omc??

grubersix

Recruit
Hello all,

I have a 1988 Bayliner, 1950. It has a Cobra outdrive. I cannot figure out what motor I have. it is a four cylinder. I believe an Omc but no one knows for sure. I need to buy replacement parts but cannot due to not knowing what it is any help would be appreciated.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: omc??

Most likely its a GM based motor.There should be a serial number plate somewhere on the engine or the outdrive.
Post a picture!:)

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

In that particular model Bayliner they had a few power options. If you have the 4 banger then it is the 3.0 L with 130 or 135 HP. As Gary mentioned it is indeed a GM based motor. Any auto parts store will carry parts. Be warned that items such as starters ( pretty much anything electrical ) MUST be marine rated. They are built with shields to protect possible sparking that might ignite any fuel residue or fumes that might linger in the bilge. As the gas vapors are heavier then air they will settle to the bottom of your boat. With no open area - like in a vehiclke - they are trapped in the bilge. It just takes one turn of the key for all to go kaboom.
Please spend the extra bucks to buy the right ( and proper ) equipment. And it will cost you extra bucks -. My $.02

grubersix

Recruit

Thank you for the help. What would I do with the serial number or plate? Do you know if most auto parts stores carry marine parts? I live in Tucson Arizona and do not have a lot of options for boat parts. I do need a starter just as gcboat mentioned.
Thank you gcboat and Gary for your help.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

The plate that Gary refers to has the engine serial and model number. It is most useful when ordering parts for that particular motor.
If you need a starter just do a Google search - tons of them available.
Most NAPA stores do carry - or can order - starters, alternators, etc.
Might even check out eBay. Or if you are really brave call your local Bayliner dealer. ( $$$$$$$$$$$$)
Hope that helped.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

In the late 80s and in a few 1990 applications OMC was was also using a Ford based 2.3L four cylinder motor. The ones I have seen have a Ford logo prominently stamped in the top of the valve cover.

Bigprairie1

Commander

I think Rotary Racer is right on this one. Late 80's 4 cylinder/OMC 's Bayliners were mostly 2.3L Ford 4 cyl's. I think they switched over and started using the 3.0L in the early 90's.
Is it gray in colour? maybe post a couple of pics..that will quickly resolve it.
BP:cool:

Not to be a stick in the mud, but if you're wondering why the engine's model number would be useful, then you might consider just taking the motor to a repair shop. Suck it up, pay a few more dollars to have it done right, and then ask the mechanic a bunch of questions afterwards such as:
- motor make
- motor model
- motor year
- his recommendation on the best place to get small parts if needed