Looking for expert prop advice

DeepV

Seaman
Hi all,

Just joined after reading a few posts.

I have a 2008 Lowe FS 175 with the 115 Optimax. Just finished breakin and I am experimenting with props. The boat came with a 13 x 19 Merc aluminum prop that would push 5300 rpm's with a light load and 5100 rpm's with a heavy load. I have only had my gps onboard once and top speed was showing around 42 -43.

The hole shot with a heavy load is terrible and I have to change that. After some research I am waiting for a Merc Vengeance 13 x 18 SS prop in the mail. I have no problem trying multiple props to get the right one.

The boat is mainly a fishing boat but the kids do tube and ski some.

Questions:

Do you think the 13 x 18 SS is a good choice? I don't want to lose any top end if possible, but have to improve the hole shot.

Right now the motor is mounted as low as it can go. Should I raise it one or two holes? I know it is not a 75 mph bass boat but it is in my nature to tweak things to get the most out of them.

Also, when trimmed up for normal cruise the prop blows out easily when making even a slight turn. Will the SS prop help this?

Looks like a great forum and thanks in advance.

Steve

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for expert prop advice

Stainless prop should help the blow out wheather you can raise the motor
more will depend on how well the prop works.

erlindbl

Seaman

A good starting point is having the anti-ventilation plate about an inch above the lowest portion of the hull when it is parallel to it. I don't know what the WOT range is for your engine but for my E-tec its 5500-5600. You want to be near the high end of your recommended RPM range. Your 5100-5300 seems low (check your owner's manual) so the 18 inch SS sounds like a good choice. The SS prop should give you more bite allowing you to raise the engine one or two holes. The fact your blowing out with slight turns now suggests you may not be able to raise it much. You may have to get a work out on the trim button. Trim down for turns and back up when coming out of them and heading straight. Outboards are much more sensitive to trim angle than I/Os.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

I had a similar setup.

ry%3D320

It came from the dealer with a 19 P SS prop and vent plate about 1-1/2? below the keel. The 19 was too much prop and switched to a 17 which got the WOT up close to 6K. Raised the motor 2 notches to bring the vent plate about 1/2? above center keel ridge. Speed didn?t come up any with raising the motor. It would still stay hooked in well with neutral trim at speed. Trouble was after coming on plane when I?d try to trim up to raise the bow for more speed, the prop would vent before the bow would rise. Seems I raised it too much to allow the trim to do it?s job. It?s definitely trial and error with props and heights.

DeepV

Seaman

Thanks for the help guys.

The WOT range for the Opti is 5000 - 5750 so I am on the lower side. I wasn't sure if going to the SS prop (heavier) would cancel out the rpm gains of the pitch going from 19 to 18. Also, I was concerned a 17 pitch would cost too much top end.

When you use Mercurymarine.com's prop calculator it always came up 18 or 19.

I should get the new prop in the next couple of days and I will try it out and report back.

DeepV

Seaman

Jevery,

What top speed do you see with the Crestliner?

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Around 45 on the speedo.

DeepV

Seaman

That sounds about right. I rarely go full speed except will do a burst at times.

Cruising at 4000 rpm and around 33 - 35 mph is more leisurely.

I want to get the best hole shot but definitely want to keep top end at least 40 mph gps.

I am no an expert, but I just replaced my Merc 115 Four Stroke with same HP ETEC and I am playing the prop game again. Just like I did with the Merc. I ended up with the Vengence 18P which gave that 4 stroke a good compromise of hole shot and top end. WOT I was at 5600 rpm for 44 - 45 MPH with an occasional 46 per the GPS

In case you wondering why I repowered with the ETEC, I never felt the boat performed as well as it should with that 4-stroke..

K.P.

Seaman Apprentice

I think you may find you'd be better off with a 17 pitch Vengence to get in the meaty part of the WOT range. 16 pitch if you want the best compromise between light and heavy loads.

Alumacraft...you replaced a Merc 115 Four Stroke with an E-Tec 115??? I don't know what you are hoping for but I doubt you will see much difference. Both are good motors but I hope you weren't believing the E-Tec informercials. They just don't BLOW AWAY four strokes like the advertisements want you to believe. In some HP classes, they don't even do as well as four strokes. All these motors today are within an MPH or two of eachother.

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a similar boat (2006 165 F&S Lowe) with an 07 90 Merc 4 stroke and I too am looking at upgrading to a SS prop. From the info I have received from the experts on here, my choice will be a Stiletto 19P Advantage-1 prop.
I have gone the route of Merc's site, turning point's etc and they all come back with 18 to 19P prop's. (Turning point was 17 for water sports and 19 for speed)
My dealer insists an 18P prop is the way to go? Of course the only company that makes an 18P prop is Merc and for a whole lot more money!!

I see Stiletto came out with 2 new style props for my engine now, one is the "Q" series and the other is now called just the Advantage? It is not an easy choice choosing a prop but the experts on here sure help lot!!.............Irv964

DeepV

Seaman

My 18 pitch vengeance came UPS last night. I was hoping to go to the lake this evening but it is raining. Looks like it might let up ....

If I can't hit around 5600 - 5700 rpms with a light load I will try a 17 pitch prop.

I chose the vengeance to try and stay with Mercury products. What are the pros and cons of this?

Is the vengeance a quality prop?

I could not get over how much heavier the SS was compared to the alum. At least in the water the weight difference is less. LOL

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 18 pitch vengeance came UPS last night. I was hoping to go to the lake this evening but it is raining. Looks like it might let up ....

If I can't hit around 5600 - 5700 rpms with a light load I will try a 17 pitch prop.

I chose the vengeance to try and stay with Mercury products. What are the pros and cons of this?

Is the vengeance a quality prop?

I could not get over how much heavier the SS was compared to the alum. At least in the water the weight difference is less. LOL

From what I have read/heard, Merc props are a quality product, like yourself, some people will only use Merc props and nothing else.
From all the reading I have done on here, trying to educate myself about props, I have concluded that there is no one prop that is leaps and bounds above the others! What I have found out is this, if a particular prop works great on say "Joe's" boat/engine combo it doesn't mean it will work great on "Bob's" boat/engine combo.
I am choosing a Stilleto myself because of what I have been told by people that are far more knowledgable than me when it comes to props. It is also a crap shoot because no one has tested the prop I want on a boat exactly like mine, it is based on previous experiences/tests etc but that does not guarantee that it will work? I also like the fact that the Stiletto is almost $200.00 dollars cheaper(Canadian) than what Merc wants for their recommended prop.
I am looking forward to hearing your results, I have a feeling you will be quite happy with the Vengence. Good Luck............Irv964

DeepV

Seaman

Went to the lake this morning and have an update.

The 13 x 18 Vengeance did very well (compared to the 13 x 19 alum). I had a light load with 2 people, full tank of gas, fishing gear and 1 cooler. The hole shot was quite a bit better but maybe not as good as I hoped. But it was definitely better. I even was able to start off with the motor slightly trimmed up.

Top speed was 43 gps at 5500 - 5600 rpms. The conditions were pretty rough. We waited on the ramp for 45 minutes for a storm to blow thru and after that it was pretty windy with 2 foot white caps. Right after we got it back on the trailer, the wind picked up to 30-40 with huge swells. WOW!

The other thing I noticed was the prop had much better bite. I could trim it up farther to get more boat out of the water. On smoother water I bet I see a little more speed but I did notice that gradual turns did not require trimming down.

Overall, it was a great improvement and I think I have found what I need. Once I try a full load and some tubers I will know for sure. At least I have a good fishing prop. If the full load and tubers is too much I will get a 17 pitch SS prop and just do the 2 prop thing.

Thanks too all for the replies and good advice.

Oh, I did catch a 24 inch 5 lb 2 oz walleye that I just finished cleaning!

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

Went to the lake this morning and have an update.

The 13 x 18 Vengeance did very well (compared to the 13 x 19 alum). I had a light load with 2 people, full tank of gas, fishing gear and 1 cooler. The hole shot was quite a bit better but maybe not as good as I hoped. But it was definitely better. I even was able to start off with the motor slightly trimmed up.

Top speed was 43 gps at 5500 - 5600 rpms. The conditions were pretty rough. We waited on the ramp for 45 minutes for a storm to blow thru and after that it was pretty windy with 2 foot white caps. Right after we got it back on the trailer, the wind picked up to 30-40 with huge swells. WOW!

The other thing I noticed was the prop had much better bite. I could trim it up farther to get more boat out of the water. On smoother water I bet I see a little more speed but I did notice that gradual turns did not require trimming down.

Overall, it was a great improvement and I think I have found what I need. Once I try a full load and some tubers I will know for sure. At least I have a good fishing prop. If the full load and tubers is too much I will get a 17 pitch SS prop and just do the 2 prop thing.

Thanks too all for the replies and good advice.

Oh, I did catch a 24 inch 5 lb 2 oz walleye that I just finished cleaning!

Thanks for posting your results, they sound promising although I was hoping to hear your holeshot was greatly improved. The one thing I noticed right away when I tested an older QuickSilver SS (13x19P) was the greatly improved turning without having to trim all the way down! It did not cavitate at all and I could feel the boat start to slide. It was incredible as a matter of fact, I just kept turning harder and harder waiting for it to break loose and it never did. I didn't notice any improvement on holeshot and that is why I didn't purchase it, I was hoping to pull a tuber/skier but the water was too cold to entice any volunteers! A strange thing happened though, I noticed an increase in RPM(past 6000 easily) and a decrease in speed which was the opposite of what was expected?? With your results on a similar boat as mine, I am wondering now if I should just purchase the 17P Stiletto as oppossed to the 19P Stiletto? If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the Vengence? Thanks........Irv964
(P.S. Nice size walleye! I am not having any luck with those either!)

DeepV

Seaman

I got the Vengeance thru Dan's discount propellors for 259.99.

Don't be too discouraged about the hole shot. It was hard to say with the water conditions and light load. It was definitely better, but the test will come will the full family aboard.

If I have to settle for the 2 prop setup, that is better than making tradeoffs in performance to use just one prop. But who knows, a 17 pitch ss could be better overall.

But right now, I am very happy with the 18 pitch. I can't wait to try it on a light chop. It was really brutal today.

Just remember, going from 19 pitch alum to 18 pitch ss netted about 100-200 rpms. At least with the Merc props.

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the Vengeance thru Dan's discount propellors for 259.99.

Don't be too discouraged about the hole shot. It was hard to say with the water conditions and light load. It was definitely better, but the test will come will the full family aboard.

If I have to settle for the 2 prop setup, that is better than making tradeoffs in performance to use just one prop. But who knows, a 17 pitch ss could be better overall.

But right now, I am very happy with the 18 pitch. I can't wait to try it on a light chop. It was really brutal today.

Just remember, going from 19 pitch alum to 18 pitch ss netted about 100-200 rpms. At least with the Merc props.

Wow, that is a great price! My stealer wants $499 plus tx for the same prop for a grand total of $563 otd.
Right now with my black max 13.25x19P alum. I am running approx 5800 to 5900 rpm WOT which is in the correct range, that is why I am hesitant to run a lower pitch at this time? I am hoping the 19P Stiletto prop I choose will greatly improve my holeshot and keep my rpm's within range as well? I am not really looking forward to swapping props all the time either but if that is what it is going to take, I guess I may just have too?
You and I are running different engines, mine is a 4 stroke and yours a 2 so I don't know how much of a difference the rpms will be with the 2 different engines? It is good to hear your holeshot was definitely better, mine isn't terrible but could be definitely better imo. Looking forward to reading your results when you get the chance to pull some tubers/skiers. Thanks again.........Irv964

DeepV

Seaman

Dan's Discount Propellors is a web business. I just googled until I found a good price. Worst comes to worst, I can ebay a prop that doesn't work.

I will definitely do a follow up post with the heavy load. Maybe next weekend.

It sounds like you could use a ss prop in the same pitch as your alum. You might lose just a few rpms, but nothing major like more than 100 if you go with the vengeance.

Good luck.

By the way, the Lowe is a great boat. The rough water today was like child's play compared to my last Tracker and it did pretty good.

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

Douple post, sorry!......Irv

Last edited:

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dan's Discount Propellors is a web business. I just googled until I found a good price. Worst comes to worst, I can ebay a prop that doesn't work.

I will definitely do a follow up post with the heavy load. Maybe next weekend.

It sounds like you could use a ss prop in the same pitch as your alum. You might lose just a few rpms, but nothing major like more than 100 if you go with the vengeance.

Good luck.

By the way, the Lowe is a great boat. The rough water today was like child's play compared to my last Tracker and it did pretty good.

I will definitely have to check out Dan's Propeller but I have a feeling by the time I got it up here in Canada it would be pretty close to the same price with the exchange, shipping, duty etc? My son's friends Dad is sponsored by Merc Canada (Bass fishing) and he told me he could probably get one for me for around $460.00? I don't know if that is including tx or not but I guess I should check. The Vengence is sounding promising, hopefully I can try one out from him or at least they will let me return it if it doesn't work out?

I love my Lowe too, it is a night and day difference compared to my previously owned SmokerCraft of the same size/features. I couldn't believe the difference in the rough water and had no idea that 2 boats of similar size/features could handle/ride so much different!........Irv964