7.5 and 4.5 questions ?

Downwindtracker2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a used 4.5 for a canoe. It came with a 12ft aluminum.I had been given a "won't start" 7.5. First question (I'm sure there will be a couple after that),how do you get the cowling off the 7.5? On the side of the 4.5 block there was a disc with the number 7174408,would that be the serial # and what year would that be? thx,Ray

Downwindtracker2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 7.5 and 4.5 questions ?

Thanks,looking through old posts I found a link,the 4.5 is a Canadian 1981. now to get the cowl off 7.5.

James R

Commander

Dont Know what model or year your 7.5 is but it is usually a pair of levers tucked under the rear cowl handle. Pull down on those to release the cowl.
Later models with the F glass cowl have a little lever at the back. Press it in to release the cowl.

Downwindtracker2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks James,after looking at it more closely,I found the serial# is on the bracket, so it's a 1976 7.5hp. I still haven't been able to find any levers or catches.The front cover looks like it may come off but I don't want to break anything. Ray

8075mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is one other variation of the fiberglass cowling that you might have. See if you have a little lever in the front on the starboard side across from the fuel connection. If so, this lever pulls forward to release the cowling. The front square or rectangle shaped Mercury plastic decorative piece does not come off like the 70's 20hp does but rather is push nutted on from the inside. Best to pull up on the back of the fiberglass cover after you pull the release lever.

Good luck, great motors !

Downwindtracker2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great, I got it off.I just didn't pull the back.There is certainly nothing cheesy about these motors.