Volvo 5.7 EFI - Correct 'muffs' procedure

winbasic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

My boat is dry stacked so doesn't live in the water full time. Because of this I try and either flush it or use Neutra salt after each run. When I first got the boat, I installed the muffs over the leg intake and would start it but I couldn't get water to flow out through the bellows.

Some people said it could be low water pressure but there is plenty of water pressure. I had the impellor and thermostat replaced as I wasn't sure when it was last done and heard that could be the source of the problem.

The only way I can get water out the bellows is if I start the engine and straight away take it to 1,500 rpm. I tried the other day just starting it and got nothing out of the bellows, so switched it off, then turned it on and put it straight to 1,500rpm which gave me water out of the bellows.

I've read somewhere that sometimes the VP engines need a 'shove' to break pressure inside the engine and get the water flowing - does this sound right? It just seems odd that when an engine is cold, you start it and rev it - in cars, they say you scorch the bores doing that.

As plan B, I had neutra salt installed but I figure running neutra salt isn't as good as have fresh water flushed through the system so would like to check if what I'm doing is correct or if it points to other problems.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!