1988 40 hp Johnson ignition problem

knute

Cadet
Thanks in advance for any help. I have the above motor on a 1988 Tracker Pro-17, and recently had a problem with no voltage to key ignition after taking shifter and key switch housing off to lube it up, and found I had blown the 20 amp fuse under the motor cowl. Replaced that, and key-started the motor with garden hose & flusher on it, it ran for about 3 seconds and then died. Can run the starter with key OK now (so fuse didn't blow again), but seem to be getting no ignition. I took the cover back off the shifter control and found the black w purple stripe (looks like faded purple to me) wire had pulled loose from the end connector so the bare wire was loose and may have contacted one of the other wire connection posts perhaps. It's the wire that connects with the red kill switch wire to the M post on the back of the switch (the M post is for "Magneto" as I understand it). I put a new connector end on the black/purple wire, reinstalled it on the M post, but still can't start the enging although the starter will run by turning key to start.

Did I maybe blow the coil???? Or what else might have happened?

Any help greatly appreciated.

knute

Cadet
Re: 1988 40 hp Johnson ignition problem

Anybody have any ideas on this? Thanks.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

May be bad news.

Mag ignitions ground to kill, if that loose wire touched a 12 volt source you may have toasted the ignition module.

Verify no continuity to ground on that kill wire with a ohmmeter with the key ON, then double check for spark while cranking the engine. If still no spark then you need the correct manual to test the ignition components to find your fault.

DO NOT BUY ANY PARTS until you test and prove the fault as there is NO RETURN on electrical parts.

knute

Cadet

Thanks, Charlie B Sounds reasonable. I'll try to do what you suggest. Probably headed to the shop anyway.

knute

Cadet

Charlie B. -- By "ignition module" do you mean the coil? Or might you be referring to the power pack? I'm primarily just educating myself for when I talk to a mechanic, most likely.

knute

Cadet

Bringing this back to the top . . .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

well do you have any spark to the plugs? is the starter turning the motor?